Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,I'm always looking at ways to improve my site and i've always found webdesignforums.net helpful in this way. I've just added a few new things to my site and was hoping for some feedback on any improvements I could make. Thanks in advance, Ainslee

Member #
    www.ainsleehooper.com is my site, i'm always forgetting to mention that.

Member #
    I've updated yet again

Hi, i've updated my site yet again, i've updated the photo album, was wondering if there should be a reorganisation of the links, cheers, Ainslee

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, well I think you've got the simplicity thing down. Your site is lacking a general architecture to it, though. It's impossible to navigate without the use of the back button. You might consider adding a consistent navigation of main sections on every page. Other than that, maybe add some design elements to it. It's a personal site, so make it reflect your personality! Right now, it looks like a hospital - stark white.

Member #
    HI Transio. Thanks for this feedback. Just wanted to clarify a couple of things. When you say a consistent navigation of main sections on every page, would you mean a drop down box? what would you suggest would be the best thing? I do have drop downs on some pages but I've been slack in updating those because fiddling around with other things. Also, I wasn't sure of what color to do because I didn't want it to look too tacky. Although I know what you mean it's too stark. Looking forward to hearing back. Ainslee

Member #
    Hi again, i've fiddled around with it, and i've got a navigational thing going on. Is this better?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ainslee
    When you say a consistent navigation of main sections on every page, would you mean a drop down box? what would you suggest would be the best thing?
    What I mean is a "main navigation". Notice wherever you go on this site, the navigation on the top stays consistent? "User CP, Mail, Search, etc." - it's always there. You should do somethign similar, whether in a drop down or band of links across the top (like WDF has) or a list on the left. Just make it consistent (the same on every page).

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, just looked at your site again. I see the nav now. Looks good on page 1. Unfortunately, when you click anything, it disappears and the look of the site changes completely. I assume it's cause you're using "plug in" tools for each section. You should customize those tools with the template that you're using for the rest of your site and add the main links to them.

Member #
    Hi Steve, i'm a bit lost with the above post. When you're talking about plug in tools, not sure what you mean here. If you let me know which sections you mean I can tell you how i created them. I haven't actually got a template going for my site. Should I use the front page as a template? and if so, how do i create this? iv'e never made one before. Thanks for your advice and patience.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, basically I mean that the top part of your site (the title "ainsleehooper.com" and the links) aren't consistent between sectiosn. For example, when I click the "Me" link, the title disappears, and the links all shift up to the top of the page. When I click "Guestbook" the title and links disappear altogether, and I have no way to continue navigating except to click the back button on my browser.

You should read a little of Jakob Nielsen's ideas about navigation. In short, he says that you should have a consistent navigation that persists on every page - like the Me } Guestbook | etc. links you have on your homepage - just put them on every page. He also says a bunch of other mundane architecture stuff, but that's the biggest thing you're doing wrong right now.

If you just cut that title and the "Me | Guestbook | etc." links and paste them all on every page of your site, you'll be rockin'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads