Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

First a little background about the website...started around July as an election tracking/prediction site...slowly added more political and media content, and redesigend the site entirely in November.

I've done well with traffic and advertisers, and overall am happy, but I think the design could us and would benefit from some changes.

Any suggestions welcome. I'm most interested in how I could change the main page and the left-side nagivation side, but willing to listen to any ideas.

www.heartheissues.com

Member #
    just some quick issues - padding on the left bar, antialias text on banner, try a different font for the banner, get rid of the ads on top, add roll overs to the left links, that grey line on top doesn't add much, left links are too dense... that's about it for me :]

Member #
    Woah! Your site houses massive amounts of content. Have you considered mimicking the styles of other news sources? The first two to come to my mind are www.washingtonpost.com and www.cnn.com. Both of them solve the problem differently and this layout could benefit from a bit of mockery.

My first opinion on your site is that the header is too large. Not grotesquely large, but could easily be trimmed 20-50 pixels. I would say this will help in getting as much of these articles on the home page as humanly possible.

I'd rework the headings and play with the fonts (like in the post) to make them smaller. Another idea is to have the headings listed like CNN, and then have a rollver menu to the articles specifically. The buttons/labels as you have them right now are very large AND, inconsistent (some are buttons and some are labels).

As far as the rest of it goes, it looks solid, I think you're right in that this left margin is where the re-working should be. I hope I've helped.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    thanks for the suggestions, i'm going to mess around with some of them today and see how i do.

Member #
    ok couple of questions...

-what could i replace the grey buttons in the nav bar with? (other type of button or specific kind of text, etc)

-how do i anti-alias text with photoshop? i have never figured it out.

Member #
    as a side note, for the time being i changed the colors on the side bar, changed the font, got rid of those gray buttons and replaced them with something similar to the washington post website.

Member #
    click on window>character, click on the dialog box next to the two "a" symbols and set it to anything but "none"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by dpakman91
    what could i replace the grey buttons in the nav bar with? (other type of button or specific kind of text, etc)
    Plain text works well. It creates a smaller file size and more information for spiders to crawl. The way it looks now is so much better than it looked yesterday, but I would not underline. In web design, as a general rule, you only want to underline your links, if something needs to be underlined for grammatical purposes, italicize instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dpakman91
    how do i anti-alias text with photoshop? i have never figured it out.
    The best way is automatically when you save for web. It may be best to go into your PSD and re-save. Make sure your text is on its own layer.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Plain text works well. It creates a smaller file size and more information for spiders to crawl. The way it looks now is so much better than it looked yesterday, but I would not underline. In web design, as a general rule, you only want to underline your links, if something needs to be underlined for grammatical purposes, italicize instead.

The best way is automatically when you save for web. It may be best to go into your PSD and re-save. Make sure your text is on its own layer.
    great, thanks! still open to any other suggestions from anyone.

Remove Ads