Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is a new version of PC Advance that I've been working on for a couple of days. It is currently in the "one page" alpha stage, so there's no point in clicking on any links as they'll only give 404s. Any opinions on the design and how it could be improved would be welcomed.

Ironically, my own website for the website design business is the only one I have been unable to come up with a satisfactory design for as of yet - however, this one is looking a little more promising.

http://files.pcadvance.co.uk/pca/index5.html

Many thanks for any comments.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Suggestions

I would scale down your company name plate on the main banner: PC Advance. The same could be said about the body font size, it feels out of proportion in relation to the size of the content box(es) it resides in.

I'm not particularly keen on the 'bright and colourful appearance', It feels too inconsistent... perhaps work on something that would be more in keeping with your target audience.

Do you have any plans to visually tie the boxes together? They appear to be floating and come across as entirely separate isolated areas of the site as opposed to a design as a whole. (Hope that made some sense.)

- Trico

Member #
    Trico,

Thanks for the comments. I see what you're saying with relation to the main banner. I have altered it somewhat, but it's now making the whole site feel rather sparse in my opinion. I'll have to look into further alterations of the main banner.

I'm not convinced about the font size though - I've been going for a clean and simple design which will be suitable for those who know nothing about the internet. I'm just a little wary of using smaller font sizes in case people don't know how to alter the font size in IE/other browsers, so my thinking was a medium font size was probably better. I have downsized it on the server though - see what you think.

As for the bright and colourful aspect - I'm trying to liven up what was a series of rather dull site revisions (check out www.pcadvance.co.uk for the latest eyesore), and personally I think the multicoloured thing is working quite well, which is abnormal for me, as I'm quite a dull and cynical person.

I understand what you're saying about the separation of the windows/boxes. However these are intended to divide up essentially separate parts of the site to ease navigation etc. Not all pages will have 3 separate boxes - I envisage most just having two, one for the navigation and one for the page data. I don't really know why I put the minimising/maximising things in - just a gimmick really, but it shows people who may know very little about websites that "dynamic" things can be achieved. The only way I can think of slightly linking the windows/boxes without losing the degree of separation I strived for initially would be to simply put a single edge & background coloured enclosure around all the windows/boxes, or (along the same lines) to drop down a light, plain colour (probably very light blue) from the main banner down to the copyright banner. That way it would give it some sense of separation from the white void surrounding it.

Any thoughts on those proposals, or am I getting a little too attached to a fundamentally flawed design (that happens quite a bit...)?

Many thanks
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Things are images that don't need to be images. (text)
    The titles and nav come to mind.
    -GeZe

Banned
    Member #
    somehow white space in between areas is "tooempty"! Don't you think so?

regards

TIP
    Member #
    Background White

Very nice, but make your background white (not default) 'cause my Window's background colour is not white (to save my eyes and monitor).

Member #
    I agree with Trico that your boxes are too independent of each other. Or maybe like nedzad, that there's too much white. Why don't you make the changes you've talked about and post them for, "which one do you like best?" survey.

The min/maximize things are somewhat contrived. I don't like them.

I like the smaller logo of the pc being inside of the a. Could you incorporate that into your main header?

Finally, the content type is very close to the left side of the box, maybe should increase the padding.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Right, I'm rather behind on implementing ideas here. I've been working for quite literally 9 hours straight in an attempt to get this working, and only partially succeeded. Geze's comment about the nav images kicked me into action. I wanted the navigation to be in Century Gothic and wasn't prepared to compromise. Therefore I embedded a .eot font file. However, this is an IE only thing, so I set up a simple JS browser check to initiate the old image driven menu system for those on browsers other than IE. Cutting an incredibly long story short, the end result was that I have everything working 100% for IE browsers. However, I can't get the onmouseover and onmouseout events to alter the images working for all other browsers given they're contained in the JS command

document.write('');

I'm not a JS person, so today/tonight has been quite a learning experience. However, this last stumbling block has totally stalled me - if anyone has any solutions then I'd be very grateful. I seem to have tried absolutely everything...

I will be trying some more of your suggestions another day - stay tuned, and thanks for your input.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    The current version is at

The menu is now in text for IE browsers. I am *still* working on the rollover for Firefox/Netscape/etc.

Just to let you guys know I'm still around and haven't forgotten about this... I will be implementing more of these suggestions over the next few days. Things have been pretty busy lately.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    I've made an effort to tackle the whiteness - any thoughts? TIA

-- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads