Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I just got this site to the point where I really like it. The layout is completely CSS with the exception of the background image, and I spent at least 5 hours alone tweaking it yesterday.

My friend designed this layout, and I borrowed a few ideas from him (with consent).

I coded all of the backend myself (news and search function, although the search function might not return many results for now because there are only a few records in the database). Anyways, I just want to know what you guys think about it, and any suggestions to make it better.

site

-or- to see the little script I wrote working to create dynamic pages based on the amount of articles, visit

site

The site is all CSS and XHTML, although I may still have a few little bugs to work out in order for them to validate. Also, the comments and search results pages are not formatted yet.

Member #
    lots of trapped white space... otherwise pretty good

Member #
    Ya there is quite a bit of whitespace, I don't know what do do with it. I might make the white more of a really light grey colour, but then that space is still monotone.

Member #
    Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Member #
    um, what I meant was there isn't enough white space. White space is where the reader's eyes can "take a break" - right now the page is squished with content, making it look too busy. It would be better if you slightly decreased font size, increase line spacing, and get rid of the right bar or replace it with something lighter. The visual hierarchy is unclear, the reader's mind does not know whether to look at the main content or the bar first.

I like the newspaperish layout, but the right and center are too similar

Member #
    Very cool background! I love it

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I like the background too, though it could do with being made a little more visable. The gray is a bit too dark.

On one of my monitors it just looked like a black background. On my other newer one it was visable, but only if you looked close.

Member #
    You've got far too many dense blocks of text, that's a horrible page to sit and read. I nearly never recommend to anyone that they use justified text alignment (espceialy on the web). You have rivers of white showing, more so in the far right column.

I'm viewing your background in diffused daylight, and if you hadn't mentioned anything I would have just assumed it was plain black.

It would help if you could place your navigation on a seperate line so you can have a healthy amount of space between each link, it's flowing together as a sentance as opposed to appearing stand-alone.

Adding to Jack's list, you should also break your content up into multiple paragraphs as this will help with the lack of white space.

From a coding point of view, you should really be using the correct markup to format the different elements of your site... this means...

Code:
    <div id="title">What is this site about?</div>
    should be formatted as:

Code:
    <h2>What is this site about?</h2>
    Code:
    <div id="content">This site, for now anyways, is going to be an informational site for a little program I am going to write called kreativeNews</div>
    Should be formatted as:

Code:
    <p class="content">his site, for now anyways, is going to be an informational site for a little program I am going to write called kreativeNews<p>
    It will look alot better when you have implimented some of the changes mentioned in this thread.

Banned
    Member #
    Hi,

first link is down
    http://www.studiowave.ca/kreative/ -nice and simple design...love your background :laugh:
    maybe is layout too simple...no images, only black fonts...try some gray fonts
    when i take a look at your content i see only lot of texts...

Jan

Member #
    The navigation I will change, I know its a bit squished. I will see about making the background a little lighter. Also, the right bar contains filler text right now, so when I put my actual content in there it wont be that filled.

Also, whats the difference between using the divs and a paragraph?

The reason I didn't use <h2> was because it was giving me problems, pushing the template from the top of the page (so the white didn't go right to the top, and you could see some of the background). I will try it again and see if I can get it to work.

Edit: Just in case you didn't know, that page is just the home page that shows the latest news. The other pages would probably be less busy, but I'm not sure yet. I don't find it hard to read the main content there at all. You look where it is and each post is seperated by a title that clearly identifies itself seperately from the last. What are some examples that could help me fix what you guys are talking about? Also, I took out the side text for now, because it was a lot and it did make it look busy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads