Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I have just been working on this, but suddenly ran into a mindblock.

Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

http://videogames.co.nz/sam/snake/ (edit)<--that links a bit messed up now.

A newer version of the site from my reply below for those that havn't read this yet is

http://www.videogames.co.nz/sam/snake/main.php
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    I like it...It could use some more color, it seems very gray (unless that's what you're going for). I think it's cool what you did w/ the top right corner of the site, but it needs something else...maybe a small banner in there w/ a different bg, giving the site a name, or something like that...right now it looks empty, and the light gray just starts in there w/ a straight line for no reason. Making the right side of the snake different than the left could work, it just needs some work.
    And the iframes...I've used them before so I am not one to talk, but they are very similar to using old fashioned frames...a no-no. I've recently been playing around with the php include command, it's very easy to use, and it allows you to "stitch" together a webpage via multiple individual files. If you have php access on your host, you may want to look into that as an alternative if you are trying to keep maintenance and updates fairly simple.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I like the grey myself. The snake seems to be disjoined at the tail on 1024x768 IE6 and for God's sake lose the Times New Roman (sorry, I hate that font. It's so 1997.) You may also want to put a border around the edges of the site to accent them a little more.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I agree with you on the grey, I like it, but I need to break it up quite a bit more.

I forgot to mention the i-frames were actually in there for an excersise I need to do, but I'm doing a differant site for that assignment now, and I'm going to muck around with this one a bit in my free time, so I'm going to switch to an alternative for sure.

And yes, the Times New Roman is out as soon as I find a font I like
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    Ok guys, I changed over to a php include, and played around a little, making the site a bit simpler.

http://www.videogames.co.nz/sam/snake/main.php

Tell me if you think much is better/worse, that first link will be a bit stuffed up now I replaced some files though if your going to make a comparison.

Also - I'm thinking about animating the snake when you click on one of the links, how would I be able to do this?

Thanks again
    Nothing to see here

JR
    Member #
    i like it - nice and simple, good colour scheme and better than the last one but the times new roman font must go.

As for animating the snake it would be pretty easy using javascript and an animated gif. But im not sure it is a good idea for it to animate when a link is clicked because the user would expect it to go to the next page. Maybe on mouse over the link perhaps.
    JR

JR
    Member #
    plus the site also needs somekind of text in the header - what the site is called etc.
    JR

Member #
    Originally posted by jravenscroft
    i like it - nice and simple, good colour scheme and better than the last one but the times new roman font must go.

Thanks dude - TNR, yeah, I'm getting there

As for animating the snake it would be pretty easy using javascript and an animated gif. But im not sure it is a good idea for it to animate when a link is clicked because the user would expect it to go to the next page. Maybe on mouse over the link perhaps.
    Good point!

plus the site also needs somekind of text in the header - what the site is called etc.
    I'm also thinking this, but I can't seem to come up with a way that dosn't look kind of thrown on because it has to be there as oposed to looking like it belongs there as part of the image whilst still being non-intrusive...
    Nothing to see here

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Write it on the body of the snake with a white sans-serif font and an overlay drop shadow at about 75% (at least that's if you're using PhotoShop.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    if you don't have photoshop, maybe this will help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads