Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi!

I'm new here (well registered new, I read through the forums a lot) to learn.

I would like some feedback for my site http://www.yoshikinet.com

I tried to keep it as simple as I could and just with tables (don't like frames) and to make it compatible for a resolution of 800x600 and higher.

It's optimized for IE but also works with other browsers (the dhtml thumbnail viewer script gave me a terrible headache). Alas it's not valid (did a check on w3c.org), because of the scripts I used and because *coughs* I have no idea how to change them. :speechless:

I would be thankful for any feedback.

Member #
    Well, I'm not really the forum's coding guru, but I can give you feedback about other things.

The first thing that hit me is a very awkard placement/crop of a beautiful photo on the home page. I must say it looks better on the internal pages where there is more room below the image. However, I think incorporating this image into a different part of the layout, like on the bottom right for instance, will make it a lot more mysterious, instead of chopped off.

So, big problem. In Safari, the layout jumps when I click between pages. It's wider on some pages than on others. In Internet Explorer, it reloads every page, which takes longer, but does not make a slight jump overly aggrevating.

And, finally, click for larger image, "this may take a while"... doesn't work in Safari. But looks really nice in IE, they way it's layed out relative to everything else, very classy.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Very nice. The only thing I would add is, to me, the font you chose to create the main menu seems inconsistent with the general ambience of the rest of the site - serene, thought-provoking, mysterious, with other interesting fonts... yet the menu font is very ordinary and bold (imposing).

Taking a page such as downloads, you have one (very nice) font for the Yoshikinet.com title and the Downloads title, you have TNR for the page text subtitles, Arial for the side menu text and page text, and I think Arial Bold for the menu text. I'd try and take that down to 3 different fonts visible on one page at once, perhaps by making the menu font plain Arial/TNR/your title font.

Otherwise, I love it. Nice work.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Well I don't like the background because when I scroll down, it flashes when I view it on my laptop. I think the menu mouseovers should be a dark colour with a light mouseover, or at least a different colour than that dark blue... I am on a laptop and it shows colours a bit differently so don't take that too seriously...

- Brad

Member #
    First: Thank you for all your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    The first thing that hit me is a very awkard placement/crop of a beautiful photo on the home page. I must say it looks better on the internal pages where there is more room below the image. However, I think incorporating this image into a different part of the layout, like on the bottom right for instance, will make it a lot more mysterious, instead of chopped off.
    Well, I only chosed this image only as a "placeholder". I was done with the site and when there's no menu on the left side it looked horribly empty. I will try and stretch the front page a bit so that there's more room below the image. (It's really chopped of you are right.)

The problem with Safari/Macs: I have no mac and no possible way to test the site.

I noticed that on some sites the whole layout is a tiny bit wider than on the other sites (possibly because of the images on the sub pages). I will try to fix that.

Same goes for the background. I'll try and find a different pattern.

As for the thumbnail viewer script... I have absolutly no idea how to change it so that it would work for mac users too. So this will unfortunately stay as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by aceadrian1
    Very nice. The only thing I would add is, to me, the font you chose to create the main menu seems inconsistent with the general ambience of the rest of the site - serene, thought-provoking, mysterious, with other interesting fonts... yet the menu font is very ordinary and bold (imposing).
    Looking at the site again after I read your posting... you are right. I will change that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradwick
    Well I don't like the background because when I scroll down, it flashes when I view it on my laptop. I think the menu mouseovers should be a dark colour with a light mouseover, or at least a different colour than that dark blue...
    I might change the menu so that it's dark gray and changes to bright gray (or white) on the mouseover. Or replace the dark blue simply with white.

Again a big thank you for all your inputs and this "To Do List" will keep me busy for the next few days. *laughs*

Banned
    Member #
    The design is simple, nice. Try changing the background from 180 degree lines to 45. See what that looks like.

Nathan Drew Sire
    http://www.captainmedia.com

Remove Ads