Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: please review

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

please review

www.redpathphoto.com

I am doing web design analysis at uni and need feedback on this site.

Cheers!

Member #
    PRO
    • Preview thumb and full display work together well.
    • I like the minimal layout.
    • Nice photos.

CON
    • I found the navigation small and fiddily.
    • The black background reflects too much light, I'm seeing a mirrior image of my room.
    • All upper-case text is especialy hard to read.
    • Poor legability of text, appears very small and blurry on my resolution.
    • Copyright notice is barely readable.
    • No viewable email information, forced to load email client
    • Annoying for the sake of it rollover blip sounds.
    • Irritating blinking page elements .

Member #
    I feel that the subtle animations are charming and give the website a personality which sets it apart from other minimalist sites. Also, great Photography.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cladode
    I feel that the subtle animations are charming and give the website a personality which sets it apart from other minimalist sites. Also, great Photography.
    I dont agree when you say "subtle animations". They actually take your eye off the content. I had a quick look at the site hit some buttons and I dont really know what service you are offering (just looked again and noticed the name though, maybe display it a little larger). You should always hit people fast with what your site is there for.

About the obsession with flash. People see these flash sites and think "yeah thats cool" i want one. You can over use flash and get nothing from it over than a "yeah thats cool". Using full flash will mean your site will not get good search engine results, some people will not be able to even view the page (more than you think). Also a lot of people have slow connections and just will not stick around to see a loading screen. If people are viewing your site it's because THEY want something, FAST and CHEAP.

Some people will disagree with me though and actually love your site. So my advice is add a cool clean html version and your site will be very nice for all people and remember it's not actually a cool site that sells your work. It's your work and your photography looks good.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paaaaaaaaaa
    I dont agree when you say "subtle animations". They actually take your eye off the content. I had a quick look at the site hit some buttons and I dont really know what service you are offering (just looked again and noticed the name though, maybe display it a little larger). You should always hit people fast with what your site is there for.
    How can the animations distract from the content? When you click on a button, up comes a high quality photograph. Your eye goes straight to the photograph, as opposed to the tiny animated boxes. The other subtle animations I'm talking about is how the image appears (it doesn't just pop up, it has a little pre-animation before it comes onto your screen.

About the obsession with flash. People see these flash sites and think "yeah thats cool" i want one. You can over use flash and get nothing from it over than a "yeah thats cool". Using full flash will mean your site will not get good search engine results, some people will not be able to even view the page (more than you think). Also a lot of people have slow connections and just will not stick around to see a loading screen. If people are viewing your site it's because THEY want something, FAST and CHEAP.
    Flash sites ARE cool. There is nothing wrong with using flash. Whats it to you that the site isn't optimized for search engines? Regarding loading time, this is a company offering PHOTOGRRAPHY. There is simply no point in offering low resolution images, clients won't be impressed. Even if the site was in HTML, the images would load slowly.

Some people will disagree with me though and actually love your site. So my advice is add a cool clean html version and your site will be very nice for all people and remember it's not actually a cool site that sells your work. It's your work and your photography looks good.
    You should read more carefully. No one ever mentioned that the site was theirs.

Remove Ads