Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

i've finally finished my very first website!

www.solverstechline.com

i'd love to hear all the negative and positive comments. this site was for my uncle's company, and some aspects of the design were mandated by him, such as having the whole bridge/land logo header.

i wanted to do something very graphical, something that somehow tied in his bridge idea and also conveyed a sense of the machining industry. if he wasn't so determined about the bridge logo image i would've been able to do something a little more standard, less background image-action.

at least i had fun and learned SO much!

at first i made the site with dreamweaver and frames, then i taught myself CSS and some basic javascript and redid the entire site, coding everything myself----NO dreamweaver!

i used coreldraw12 for scalable vector graphic design,
    fireworks to edit, check, and confirm images,
    rapidcss to code everything,
    and dreamweaver to upload to the server.

notice the CSS rollovers..... =)

thanks to all who respond.
    -averan

Member #
    wow, this is great input...

filbert,
    the "iframe" is used purposely to suggest a cnc machining console that most visitors to this site would find familiar.
    i'll definitely work on the navigation, taking the "mystery" out of the "meat"....thank you.

peter,
    you're right, visitors shouldn't have to work so hard to navigate a site, was fun for me, but not for them.
    as richard said, they're not frames, check out the html....thanks for your advice.

richard,
    thanks for seeing so clearly.
    not sure about php availability, don't have the full details on their hosting service, and will have to take some tutorials on php to figure how to apply the code you gave me......looks like it would be added to each html page just as a javascript preloader (except not in the head)?? the lines following a "#" are comments, right?

thank you all for taking the time to help me and not just tear me down! =)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No problem.

The simplst way to tell if your host supports PHP is to copy and paste this in to a HTML document:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    echo date("l \\t\h\e jS");
    ?>
    Except save the document with a .php extension instead of .html

Then upload to your server in the normal way and view the page from your browser.

If you get something like this:

Thursday the 16th

Then you have PHP, if you get something like this:

echo date("l \\t\h\e jS");

Then you don't.

As for the example code I gave you above, you can simply cut and paste it from above.

Paste it at the bottom of your HTML page just before the </html> tag. Also, you only need it on your home page because it preloads all the images in your image directory. Of course this only works if all your images are in one directory and that dir is called 'images'.

Member #
    thanks again.....i updated my javascript preloader, seems to be working.

also redid the navigation, please review again, let me know if this is better...... www.solverstechline.com

text just wasn't easily legible without being bold, had to leave it.

thanks a million!

Member #
    May want to check it in Mac IE if you get a chance. It's a bit off.

edit: screen attached. Avoid .png in your designs for cross-browser goodness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    nothing wrong with frames and iframes. dont listen to them, only what ideas you have and want. if frames were so back, Microsoft Tech Forum wouldnt be using them.

you should learn the truth about frames and iframes instead of thinking all the myths are true.

Member #
    eddy,
    thanks for the mac view....looks like it's not reading the png file for the navbar--will change it to gif.
    also will have to make mods to the css to fit all content within their divs!

dinot,
    i agree. i think they are a great option when used correctly. thank you for the support. =)

Member #
    naw, eddy, his mac... =) really...

just kidding, but macs obviously don't like pcs.

Great job if it's your first one.

Member #
    Hey...I was a fitter / machinist for 10 years before becomming a computer GEEK. I used CNC machines a lot in my trade.

I find the combo of water and a bridge, with gears and sprockets, to be a little off. My suggestion is to keep the site in the CNC machinery theme. Think of the type of person who will hit your site.....blue collar workers or leading hands or foremen.....all trade people.
    Go for a machine / mechanical type background and logo.

I also agree that the font is too bold. Headings and links need to be highlighted, with body text being more subtle.

Good luck with it all dude!

Member #
    echoswe,
    working on javascript redirect to a mac version css page....almost done.
    yes, thank you, it is my first website.

newbie,
    i totally agree....i wanted to do an awesome super tekkie machining page, but the owners were really stuck on their whole bridge-mountain-water theme/logo, so this was the best i could come up with: pretty weird huh? i did spend a lot of time designing new logos that could be better used in a more standard page, but to no avail, they wanted bridge and water!

thanks....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads