Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

i was wondering if i can get a critique on my site .. its my first full flash site. Kirbtastic Design Studios

Member #
    Pretty impressive. Only comment I have is the empty logo and print sections...maybe make some examples of work you could do. Other than that, pretty cool.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Welcome to the board, kirbtastic!

As strictly Flash sites go, it's not bad; however, I would strongly recommend an alternative for those who don't have or don't want to view your site in Flash.

I would also recommend the following:

1) Don't open a new window maximizing the screen for the Flash. Sites that do that don't allow me to get at other things I may need to get at (like my MP3 player to change tracks) and I hate that. It never fails to tick me off, and I'm far from the only person who feels that way. Try to keep it inside the current browser window if you can.

2) The navigation (particularly Print/Web/etc.) is confusing. It took me a few minutes to figure out where the web pages themselves were and then they started preloading more movies in new windows while I imagined someone on an older, slower machine cursing your very existence for locking their computer up tighter than a Brinks truck at 3 AM in Compton.

3) The overall look feel and language of the site doesn't convey an image of a professional or company. See "beer pong".

4) This is not a knock on your site but your host, HostDime, isn't the most professional host in the world and has been known to be abusive and unprofessional to customers in the past (especially when they disagree with something the owner does or cancel their accounts). The owner has even posted customer emails publicly on other websites, with blatant disregard for their privacy. You may want to look at another host before this happens to you. I'd also suggest not putting a link to any host's site on yours unless they're sponsoring your site or giving you hosting for nothing. If you're a customer, then you shouldn't have to advertise as well.

Sorry for being a little rough on you, but I figure that if you want an honest answer, I owe it to you to give you one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    i absolutely want an honest opinion because I dont have to deal with the issues of a full screen..i run two monitors so this is never a problem for me .. ill look into changing that. ill have to find a java script for that because i dont want the menu or scroll bars. HostDime does host my site for free, thats why I have them up there .. although I am looking to switch because my site is constantly going down lately or has been running extremely slow .. hence the issue of some of my samples not not coming up. If u have any suggestions about a new host i would appreciate it. All of the print samples are there, im going to change the way they load to correct that. The text is something someone else suggested that i change too..i dont know what to write..i suck at writing copy..ill have to look into getting that professionaly done. This site is just me screwing around .. i wanted to teach myself flash and show off some of my designs to pick up freelance work so im really not too worried about old men on 56k's trying to view it.

i dont think you were being rough on me and I thank you for the warm welcome to the boards

thanks again.

Originally posted by TheGAME1264
    Welcome to the board, kirbtastic!

As strictly Flash sites go, it's not bad; however, I would strongly recommend an alternative for those who don't have or don't want to view your site in Flash.

I would also recommend the following:

1) Don't open a new window maximizing the screen for the Flash. Sites that do that don't allow me to get at other things I may need to get at (like my MP3 player to change tracks) and I hate that. It never fails to tick me off, and I'm far from the only person who feels that way. Try to keep it inside the current browser window if you can.

2) The navigation (particularly Print/Web/etc.) is confusing. It took me a few minutes to figure out where the web pages themselves were and then they started preloading more movies in new windows while I imagined someone on an older, slower machine cursing your very existence for locking their computer up tighter than a Brinks truck at 3 AM in Compton.

3) The overall look feel and language of the site doesn't convey an image of a professional or company. See "beer pong".

4) This is not a knock on your site but your host, HostDime, isn't the most professional host in the world and has been known to be abusive and unprofessional to customers in the past (especially when they disagree with something the owner does or cancel their accounts). The owner has even posted customer emails publicly on other websites, with blatant disregard for their privacy. You may want to look at another host before this happens to you. I'd also suggest not putting a link to any host's site on yours unless they're sponsoring your site or giving you hosting for nothing. If you're a customer, then you shouldn't have to advertise as well.

Sorry for being a little rough on you, but I figure that if you want an honest answer, I owe it to you to give you one.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    LOL I know lots of people on dialup that aren't old men. Good stereotype though.

As far as a decent host goes, I use Sectorlink for myself and my clients (when they let me pick). They're very stable, reliable, and professional. I've had sites go down with them for a total of three hours in the year I've been with them so far. (There was a fourth incident but it was my fault...something about a loop that doesn't end that servers just don't like!) They can get you all the bandwidth you can stand too, should your site really take off and you keep it as straight Flash.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I use Hostony for a client I just finished, and I'm happy with their services/features.

There's a whole section on this board regarding hosts here .

Also, if you're looking for cheap hosting, I have a small account with Diamond Internet Solutions and I've been happy w/ them so far. Their smallest package for $12/year comes w/ 10mb space, 1gb/mo bandwidth, php, etc. They have larger plans too.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Kirb,

Welcome to the forum. You're a fantastic artist !!!! I love your work!

Unfortunately, the presentation in your site doesn't promote your work well enough.

I didn't even realize you had samples until I read GAME's post about the confusing navigation.

My biggest suggestion is to revise your entire portfolio section.

Make the samples BIGGER. You could almost make a site just out of your work. It really is spectacular.

Don't put "Empty Modules" They are confusing and annoying to people.

Keep your navigation together.

That's all I can think of right now. Great work ! Keep it up !

JR
    Member #
    welcome to WDF kirb,

i love that flash work, it is excellent :classic:

I agree with the Game that it shoudn't open in a new window, try to keep it in the existing one.

With flash sites as good as yours i expect to hear a good sound loop playing

i love your work though :classic:
    JR

JR
    Member #
    sorry i am such a fool, ignore the sound comment i had my sound turned off lol :dead:
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just ignore jravenscroft. He didn't take his medication today.

He's like "Buddy" from the old Night Court TV show. "But the doctor says I'm much better now!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads