Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Layout Review

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone,
    I was interested in getting a review on the following layout. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Don Ho
    http://www.threecell.com/clients/viocen/homepage.html

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, the text is useless (looks like you're using Helvetica Neue or something) - why do people insist on making mockups that have no chance of ever looking that way when sliced?

All in all, it's very low contrast - will be very very difficult to read on laptop screens.

What's up with the white strips in the upper left of the stock image? They look pretty out of place to me.

Your headers (organge) need some serious work... First off, they lay to the bottom of the gray background, which is really akward, secondly they're indented.. which is again akward, and the :// is never appreciated. Say what you have to say, no more, no less.

Lastly, what's up with the black dots? No clue wha'ts oging on there.

All in all, it's a very templatey looking piece, mostly because of the cheesy header which will ruin anyone with an 800x600 screen. Good start though.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Brak: Well, the text is useless (looks like you're using Helvetica Neue or something) - why do people insist on making mockups that have no chance of ever looking that way when sliced?

Disagree, using CSS he can specify the fonts he'd like to use, and others to sub in if they are not on the end-user's machine. I'm on a laptop and the layout looks ace to me, especially like the cool white swoosh thing over the main pictures

I like the photoshopping, the feel of the site, and if he's going tableless, which I hope he does, then there's no reason at all why this layout will get sliced n diced. Also, it seems like it would fit on an 800x600 res fine also.. just make sure it's centered on larger res.

As for other small effect like //, I also like them, just add a space before them (after the date) and good to go!

Member #
    I like the whole clean feel.

I think the tact of Brak's post comes off sounding quite harsh, but I do agree with almost everything he has said thus far.

Vation should be designing for his target audience first, and the small minority of fellow graphic designers or Mac owners that might actually have helvetica installed second, (if not at all.)

In terms of visual clutter, the white stripes in the header, black target circles and '//'s located next to subheadings fit into this catergory imo. I don't actually mind the ones located after the date, but I agree space to clean up legability would be a good idea.

It actually took a while to work out what the site was about (without having to read content) ...it does look very much like a generic technology orientated template site, maybe you should include WiFi in the main header somewhere?

In terms of an 8*6 resolution, I think he was refering to how a users screen would be filled with a giant header graphic/interface and, little else.

Remove Ads