Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Site critique

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

There's still quite a bit of editing/adding left to be done, but the basic premise is ready. Any feedback/critiques appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.maidenwebcreations.com

Member #
    The splash screen features some nice art work. The animation is a little hard to read, and the final words don't really stand out so much as far as a title goes. Also, the small blurb you have on the splash page is cool, but the gray box that's behind it doesn't span the width of the blurb, making it look like it ran over.

The text on the main site is a little large.

The font in your flash presentation doesn't match the font on the rest of your site. Also, if you're going to have animation at all in the flash presentation, speed it up a little. As you add pieces to the portfolio, it will take a while to get to pieces not near the begining.

Also, the navigation's bg is tiling. Unless you are going for that look, try to make a bg that looks fluid regardless of the page's length.

Don't mean to be hard on you, the site has potential, these are just some ideas I think would improve the site. Keep it up!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There's so much wrong with this site, I don't know where to begin. So I won't.

I personally think that a web-designer's page is the benchmark by which to judge their talent. That said, it's my honest opinion that you should stick with programming.

Please don't take offense. There's just a LOT of good competition out there for web design right now. You won't be able to make a living off of it.

If you really want to stay in the web design field, look at other people's sites. Read up on design. Check forums like this for tips on usability, design techniques, etc. If you stick with it, make another attempt and post it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    - colors are ick. http://tomislav.echoechoplus.com/ColorMatch_5K.htm
    - get rid of the splash; very unneccessary
    - portfolio has very um cheap web designs; i mean they are one minute designs; good thing you are at this site to learn from many talented designers
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As harsh as transio's commentary was, I'd have to agree with it. It really doesn't look like a professional website. It's not a bad-looking website for something personal (like a teenage girl's first Hello Kitty website or something of that nature) but if I'm a prospective client, it doesn't give me the urge to contact you.

As transio stated though, please don't take offense because neither of us mean any. It's just a very competitive field and if you want to play in it, you're going to have to step your game up a few notches.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    No, no offense taken. The only post that offered any constructive criticism was the first one by splufdaddy. Thanks, splufdaddy. Appreciate it. The other "experts" can take their attitude on a hike.

Really...I checked out transio's link to his Homepage and in my frank opinion(not as a "web designer", but just as a day-to-day surfer), it did not create a favorable impression AT ALL. There was another website that I saw on this forum, (i think it was www.bgidesign.com). Now, that's inspiring. and i could take any comment from a webdesigner like that! But I don't care for comments from the transios and zionlockes in this world. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Fair enough. I think you've got a bit of a point in that none of us were specific. However, it's very hard to be as specific as possible when there is so much that is wrong with the site. Nevertheless, I'll list some things and I will leave it to the others to pick up the ball and run with it from there. Remember though...this is what you asked for specifically.
    [list=1][*]Your use of fonts on all pages other than the Splash page. You use both Times New Roman and Verdana and intersperse them at seemingly random intervals. It's best to use just one font to allow your user to adjust his/her eyes to the typeface and thus make your copy easier to read. Personally, I'd go with Verdana.[*]The mask/logo. Pick a colour for the mask (either the one on the Splash page or the one on the site) and use it consistently, rather than having it as one colour on the Splash page and one colour on the rest of the site.[*]The Splash page itself. Although I have done Splash pages for clients in the past, this is something I don't recommend they do nor is it something I do for my own company site. Splash pages, because there is very little to no text whatsoever, are very difficult for search engines to index and some (e.g. Google) just won't do it at all. You should either put some text underneath of it for people to read (especially those that don't have Flash) and a hyperlink to the site directly, or just get rid of it entirely.[*]Your grammar. If English is not your mother tongue, I do apologize for making this criticism on the grounds that it may appear to be prejudicial. However, English is the mother tongue of most of your prospective client base. As a result, I would recommend running your pages through a spell/grammar checking tool (e.g. MS Word) and implementing the majority of the recommended changes. You use many run-on sentences. You also possess a tendency to join two independent phrases or thoughts with sentences via a comma.[*]Your width dimension. Try to use percentage dimensions rather than pixel dimensions in order for your page to fit more nicely across a wider variety of screen resolutions. I'm looking at your page at 1024x768 resolution and there is a lot of white space outside the bounds of your website, as well as within it itself. The grey border could easily be trimmed down as well to at most 10% of that size.[*]Your choice of background colour. I'm a big advocate of black on white or a colour that would at least register 80% in terms of Photoshop brightness. Black on light attracts the largest number of people.[/list=1]

There is an Asian proverb: do not ask for the dragon unless you are prepared to receive him. Since this is what you specifically requested, this is what I have specifically provided. I trust that at least someone else will do likewise. I didn't want to mention everything that I personally saw wrong with your site since I didn't want to overload you, which was probably transio's logic as well. Nevertheless, this should get you started.

As transio suggested, it would serve you in good stead to do some research on what it is people look for in a website before you try to design one. Start at Vincent Flanders' Web Pages That Suck and take the journey from there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I think all of the posts in this thread are important. I don't want to tarnish my original post, and I do not think you should give up, but I do think there's a lot of work to be done on the site. TheGame was very generous to offer the amount of criticism that he did, and I agree with all of that as well.

Moreover, I would encourage you to visit transio's Web Design Company as I think that this is a far superior website than his personal site. While his post may have come off harsh, he does know his stuff.

My advice: keep practicing. I once built websites similar to yours. My skills have sharpened, but I am still not a professional either. That is why I have constructed a portfolio of my work for people to view, but I have not deemed myself a company. Anyone can call themselves a company, and I could change a few words in my portfolio and it would be a company website too. It may not seem like a big difference to most people, but I believe it is. I showcase my work to others, and offer my services. Most of the work I have done has been for people I know, because they know that this is what I do. Before starting a project, I inform potential clients of my skills and what I can and can not do, and if their site is a project I can tackle, we both make out: they get a website for less money and more personal interaction, and I gain experience.

OK, sorry for going off on a tangent. I think my original point was practice making more websites before calling yourself a company. Keep making designs, post some of your best here, and we'll try to tell you how to improve them.

Remove Ads