Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Alright, I remember coming here in January, asking for a little CSS help. I made a layout, which, sadly, just after completion of a few of my most needed scripts my host crashed due to an unfortunate Linux experiment and I'll have to wait a few weeks for the Linux server to get reactivated, and in the meantime I've decided to make
    a new layout for my web. Attached are both of the layouts I've made, I want to know which one I should use, maybe change them a little, or start all over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    I would go with the brown one, 'newsitescreen.jpg' I'll comment on the design tomorrow.

Member #
    Yes, definitely the brown one.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Use the purple / mauve one (newsitescreen.jpg).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Well, then, look at the WIP:
    http://n3on.kawanda.net/
    Still waiting on my host to re activate the Linux server.

Member #
    Paddings man, paddings!

Member #
    I am not fond of them, but let's see.
    EDIT: Paddings just screw the layout up. Perhaps I will look into this later.

Member #
    Paddings man, paddings!
    Definitely, text (or any other content for that matter) that hugs the border or surrounding edge doesn't look good. You won't find any book that has 100% text from edge to edge of the page, people just wouldn't read it otherwise. The same applies on a web page.

I would use some Lorem Lipsum at this stage, it's less distracting and also makes your source code easier to read as opposed to the PHP filler.

EDIT: Paddings just screw the layout up. Perhaps I will look into this later.
    To avoid using padding in a destructive manner place the text inside <p></p> paragraph tags and use some CSS to control either the margin OR padding values; in this instance it really doesn't matter which you use. Give it a go.

Instead of diving straight for pure black, I tend to try and use very dark shades of whatever colour that may be in use. It comes across as less harsh and a little more unified.

I know you've probably picked this bad habit up from following the 'trend whore' movement, but using a stroke around a bitmap/pixel font really does look utterly (insert accustomed word for bad.) It's unnecessarily unreadable.

I like the grunged up title, adding a single pixel or so more space between the letter B and the L would look better.

Try and imagine everything is placed inside a grid, the logical part of your brain instantly likes this and it makes scanning a page easier. Thus try aligning the title within the width of the navigation column (you might need to down scale it in order to make it fit) or alternatively kick it over to the far right of the header so the design doesn't appear too left heavy.

Even a small amount of colour makes a big difference, warm contrasting colours such as yellow, red , orange work very well alongside brown. Other more adventurous ones could include sky blue, hot pink or a soft lime.

There're my thoughts, hope you find them useful.

Trico
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Trico
    Even a small amount of colour makes a big difference, warm contrasting colours such as yellow, red , orange work very well alongside brown. Other more adventurous ones could include sky blue, hot pink or a soft lime.

There're my thoughts, hope you find them useful.

Trico
    I agree with many of those points, and as for contrasting colours with brown I would go with orange or yellow as you mentioned. HERE is a site I made with orange and brown (don't laugh, its old and one of my first :P). But I think the brown and orange looked nice. I also had yellow at one point, and it looked nice too.

Member #
    I've applied a 3px padding to the <p>s, do you think this is enough? I'll start adding colour later, my ISP session is almost timed out. The blackness is a lazy part of me, if you notice the two column's colours are actually the background image, which is 1px repeated along the y axis and centered. The black happened because the drop shadow is black and I didn't bother changing it back to what I had (#403056 or something).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads