Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey everyone, our Greenville High School Computer Club website, GHSCC.com, is mostly up and running.

Feedback on content, design, etc is more than welcome.

Two cool things:

:classic: The content management system I came up with lets myself, the faculty advisor, and the 'web team' edit any page on our site from anywhere, anytime.

:classic: And our site is completely skinnable - though there's only one real skin out there right now.

Also, if you guys have any ideas for additional skins, that's great - in fact, you could design your own (I'd email you a packet with information you'll need to design the skin)!

Thanks,
    Alan Hogan
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Come on, guys - I know some of you have seen my site (HTTP_REFERER doesn't usually lie) - Can you at least let me know what your impression is? I know it's not graphically intense, but still, "how's it look?"
    Thanks.

Member #
    OK. Here is a comment. On Firefox/WinXP, it always needs to scroll horizontally regardless of window size. This is usually a symptom of having widths to total up to more than 100%. Try to make them to tally up to 98% or so.

Also, HTTP_REFERER is very much abused these days. It's a new form of spam. It routinely DOES lie.
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eKstreme
    OK. ... On Firefox/WinXP, it always needs to scroll horizontally regardless of window size. This is usually a symptom of having widths to total up to more than 100%. Try to make them to tally up to 98% or so.
    Yes, I've noticed that too. However I don't believe anything has a width greater than 98% - in fact I do not believe I define anything to be 100%! I'll look into it when I get some time, but do you (or does any other forum member) know how to fix it for my site?
    Quote Originally Posted by eKstreme
    Also, HTTP_REFERER is very much abused these days. It's a new form of spam. It routinely DOES lie.
    Hence the italics. But forgive me if I'm wrong: There's no reason for the referrer to show as webdesignforums.net right after I post there about my site, unless people are following my link.

Member #
    layout-wise:

lack of visual hierarchy - there's text all over the place and no visual cue (other than font size) as to what the user should look at first.

there are two distinctive elements that identify the site: the ghs graphic on the top, and the large text below it. This serves no purpose, get rid of one of them.

spacing issues: you've crammed content into every part of the page. You need some white space to divide content up into recognizable chunks. Spatial relation is very important, as the user will assume that objects closer together are related to eachother. What you need to do is put some spacing between each of the news items, but keep the title and content closer together.

coding:

I don't understand why you've put all your css(which is 70% of the page markup) embedded in the html. You can link it or do an @import and cut all that code out as it's cached. In my oppinion, this negates the purpose of using css at all since content and design are not separated...

do all that, and clean up the side bar a bit and you'll have a pretty good site

Member #
    Thanks Jack000.
    Yes, I should really separate the CSS. The reason it's in there at all is because I let the same PHP that writes my pages write the CSS. Silly? Yes, but easier.

As for the quasi-duplicated title, that's only on the home page. I.e. on other pages, the title will NOT be Greenville High School Computer Club. But that's definitely something to think about.

I didn't quite follow what you said about the spacing - and what exactly is wrong with the sidebar?

Thanks,
    Alan

Member #
    I think this article might help:

http://www.sheriftariq.org/design/whitespace/

Member #
    Hmm, that was an interesting article.
    (I don't see our layout changing anytime soon though.)

But it didn't help with the Mozilla scrollbar problem... which is more annoying than a problem because there's no need to scroll.

Hmm...

Anyone else with comments?

Member #
    Alright, I've separated the CSS from within each page. I don't know what took me so long, though...
    Also, what finally fixed the horizontal scrolling on Firefox was setting my table width to 99.49% (i picked that num so it might round up to 99.5 but not 100; don't know if that'd actually make a diff).
    Anything else?
    Soon we'll have multiple skins.

Remove Ads