Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey guys.. I want to make a dhtml version for my homepage so I started one today.. it's mostly done with CSS..

let me know what you think.. none of the links work yet but you get the idea.. new content will be loaded on the right column and "featured project" and "news" will always be on the left..

here is the link
    http://www.bgidesign.com/ik/ss.html

Thanks

Member #
    I like the layout...a few minor suggestions:

1. Personally, I don't like the second and third bars in the right column not lining up w/ the top bar. Others may disagree, we'll see.

2. I like the idea of making the content cells a different color than the bg of the page. I think the difference should be more obvious however.

3. Make your banner bigger.

4. If your news section is going to be a large section most of the time, consider moving it to the right column. The footer you have at the bottom of the right colum looks a little odd, cause it's really in the middle of the page. The main content column looks odd because it's half the size of your left column.

A little constructive criticism, take it for what it's worth. Nice start though.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Good points by splufdaddy.

Not sure if I agree about the banner. It looks pretty nice as is. However, I would integrate the banner and the other two sections of the site better. Personally, I think it would look best if the main content section scaled to fit the width of the page (would work better with the banner).

Also, I would put the sections closer together. The big light gray gaps between sections isn't doing it for me. And in the main content section, the ">What We Do" and ">How we Do It" headers don't line up with ">Welcome". I realize it's probably intentional for heirarchy, but it just doesn't do it for me. The fact that they're below "Welcome" is enough for me to realize they're sub-sections.

I would move news into the main content area. "News" is content, not navigation. Make the informational classification more apparent (I realize that "news" sections are typically filled with links to expanded articles of content, but they are generally classified as "linked-list content" nonetheless).

Member #
    I think its a lovely design. I'm not to hot about the red high-lighting over the blue links, but thats just me. I also think maybe a bit of a border around the tables to show the difference of the BG white to the table white. Lastly, i think that the Banner at the top should have a border or match the BG.

Thats all i got to say, good job for the most part!
    -Taylor Fate

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Red highlighting is ugly. Also the red in general is too intense and the padding around the text in those bits isn't enough.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Banned
    Member #
    Thanks guys

here is an update..

http://www.bgidesign.com/html/ss.html

I wouldn't usually put a logo in the center but it seemed to fit the design..

I've also tried another logo but I'm not sure if i should keep it..

what do you guys think?

I really seem to like it and might consider making a flash header and making it my main page.. lol.. but we'll see

Member #
    Maybe you should make the 2nd and 3rd bar of the middle column wider to fit with the top one,if that's your ideas dont change.it just a suggest.

other thing you also should remove the alias of the edge of your banner,it makes your banner ugly.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    HUGE Improvement on design. I like it so much better. Thank god you got rid of that awful red. Scaled content looks great. Here are my suggestions:
    1. Align the logo to the left.
    2. Redesign the logo again. Didn't like the old one much, but I like this one less. The playful curvacious lines don't fit the sharp edgy design of your flash site.
    3. Expand sub-headers in the main content section so they line up on the left and right with the main header. I know you want to pad your content, but don't pad the headers with them. Add a table in each cell of sub-content and pad the sub-content there.
    4. Don't put a cellpadding on your "News" section. It is causing your iframe scrollbar to get padded in. Instead, try putting a cellpadding of 0 and modify your margins in the page that has the News content. Try 10 pixel margins all the way around, with the iframe lining up on all edges of the News content cell.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Nevermind the cellpadding comments above... I just noticed that you're working with divs.

Despite that, I would make the spacing adjustments I mentioned.

I'd also adjust the spacing on your page as follows:
    1. Space the white background of the banner and left navigation away from the left margin of the page (same distance as the space you have on the right).
    2. Make the right side spacing of the Banner div the same as the right side spacing of the News div.
    3. Move the content table up so that the vertical space between divs is the same as the horizontal space between divs. It would be REALLY nice if that space was also the same as the vertical height of div headers, which was the same as scrollbars, which are 16px.

I know those details are really anal, but they add polish to a site, which gives it an intangible professional quality.

Banned
    Member #
    awesome..

thanks.. i'll see what I can do and post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads