Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi

Thought I'd redo my site (again) to make it a little cleaner, also use CSS instead of tables and make it validate to HTML 4.01 and CSS2.

Heres the result:

http://www.rrss.co.uk/index.php

Not 100% finished I ned to work on the 'services' page some more.

The old site is here:

http://www.rrss.co.uk/old%20site/

If you want to compare.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Member #
    I like the original more, and here's why:

On the new one the nav is off a bit. There seem to be little spaces between some of the buttons that make it look a bit scattered.

I don't like seeing keyboards and computers on business sites. To me it seems like beating a dead horse. The old site had more 'pesonality' to it, but it was still businesslike.

The layout in general is nice. The colors work and the content is clear. I guess it's the nav that gets to me the most in a not-so-good way.

I'm using FF, by the way.

Member #
    I don't like the domain, it reminds me of RSS, and if your site isn't all about Really Simple Syndication then that's not such a good thing. The pictures you use are all Apple products. Great if your target audience is the 5% of the population that likes them, what about the rest? Most don't use Macintoshes, some really dislike them. Not too bad, only 5 validation warnings.

Peter

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the replies.

I should probably argue a bit now, but to be honest, I agree with what your saying.

I think it's time for a holiday.

Just one point though, ironically the validation errors where part of the validation link to W3c' site (I put the links in last thing as a PHP include and didn't think to check them). Now the links are taken out it validates.

Anyway, I'm going to back of for a bit and try and come back with a fresh approach.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,

I've redesigned the site again after taking in the abiove points, and taking a break.

This version is pretty much finsihed now so any comments suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.

http://www.rrss.co.uk

Member #
    I like it! The banner does appear a little choppy on the corners though.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks eddy,

I know what you mean I think I'll have to redo it, I'm also thinking of making the 'RrSs' sligtly lighter.

Member #
    Looks nice.

Quite a large header bar you have there. I think it would look nicer if the corners were a bit smoother.

"London - Wandsworth - Clapham - Tooting" reminds me of the law firm "Blame, Shame, Burden and Guilt". You feel that the most important piece of information you have to share with a client is the nearby towns and cities? Why? What if I'm not in or near those places, what then?

RRSS, RrSs - again why? What does it mean? Does it roll off the tongue nicely or is it just a string of letters that you like?

You use Flash as the only means of navigation. If they don't have Flash you aren't interested in having them as a client?

Flash and good size images slow things down when moving page to page, after loading a section I expected snappy switching between tabs but it's slow.

You're using a fixed with design to handle 800x600 visitors, but there's quite a bit of graphics, etc, up top before you get to the content. Switch to 800x600 on your monitor, what do you see and what's your impression?

Peter

Member #
    Hi Richard S.

I really like this site. It's very easy to use and concise, but as I am the way I am... here's the nitty gritty:

There's more space above the layout than below, and this makes it feel weighed down. The lettering... pillow emboss?... works okay, but could be stronger. Nice use of a gradient.

I like using the blue text for quotations, but as a start to every paragraph, especially the phone number, it's distracting and looks contrived.

The portfolio section: Right now, it fits with the other pages as the number of tabs coincide, but as you continue, then what? How will the layout accommodate more business?

Finally, I do not have a problem with RrSs... but what does it stand for?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the comments, I thought this thread had been forgoten about.

pmj7 -
    The "Web design and development - London - Wandsworth - Clapham - Tooting" tag line is my attempt at SEO. There must be hundreds if not thousands of web design companys in London, so theres very little chance I'll manage a good place for "web design London", however may be if poeple search for my local area, and realsie I'm local I'll have more chance.

"You use Flash as the only means of navigation." - Thats something I'm working on at the moment. I don't want to have to resort to a set of text links at the bottom, so I'm trying to find the best method of Flash Player detection. I was hoping to do it server side, but it dosn't seem to be realiable. I found a JavaScript to detect Flash, but I couldn't get it working reliably in both IE and Firefox. I need to work on that more.

"Switch to 800x600 on your monitor, what do you see and what's your impression?" - I know what your getting at, I have checked it in 800x600 and didn't think it was too bad. It's something that I think 800x600 users are pretty use to, (have a look at webdesign forums in 800x600 for example, though I realise WDF is aimed at developers who will probably be in 1024x768). Having said that, it's a good point. So I have added a JavaScript script to alter the CSS and move the main conatiner up to the top if the user is in 800x600.

"I excpected snappy switching between tabs, but it is slow" - It seems OK to me, but a preloader may help here. Whats your connection speed?

DCScene -
    "There's more space above the layout than below" - I hadn't noticed that, but now I have it's anoying me.

"The lettering... pillow emboss?." the lettering has a innner shadow and slight gradient over lay, the pillow embos effect is infact just a outline layer style. I kept it subtle on purpose so as not to blatently look like a emboss effect.

As for the portfolio section, I'm planning on having a second row of tabs, above and behind the first row. Not quite sure how it's going to work yet.

As for the name RrSs -
    1. Well it's kind of my initials twice.

2.When I wanted to learn PHP I decided to rent some server space, and with it I got a free domain. At the time I wasn't planning on webdesign, so just choose something short and loosly connected to my name.

3. I decided to stick with it as I couldn't think of anything better and there arn't that many short, easy to remember domain names left.

Remove Ads