Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Pixel Development

This is my new website, the text still needs some work. Most effort has been against the main, gallery, portfolio and RSS/RSS help pages, so far.

Most will find the Gallery and OIP Edit interesting.

When viewing a gallery, clicking on the OIP Edit button allows you to change the appearance of any image, making it brighter, sharper, or even black and white or sepia! These changes are kept and are instantly reflected back in the gallery when you click 'save', other users see these changes as well. Don't like the way it looks to you? Change it again! Try it!

Touchup allows you to play around with the image as well, but these changes are non-permanent. When you select Touchup, another button is added to the Gallery - Mac Gamma. If you are using a Macintosh, selecting this button will adjust the gamma of the displayed image to compensate for the Macintosh's different video gamma. You'll see the images as they were intended to be!

The main page has numerous controls to customize the site to your preference and viewing conditions. LCD laptop screens are frequently easier to read with light text on a dark background, vice-versa for video monitors. Larger text, wider pages, links to a new window - all your choice!

The Portfolio page has a brief description of other sites and projects, and has a small scrolling thumbnail area for most. Clicking on one will take you to a gallery with full size images.

I'm particularly interested in hearing how it works on various browsers. I've tested on Windows XP with Firefox 1.02, Mozilla, Explorer 6, Netscape 7 and Opera 7.5. I've had a few people do a cursory look using Safari under Mac OS X.

All comments are welcome!

Peter

Member #
    Here are some changes I've made:

- The gray background on the sides has been replaced with something that better complements the header image
    - Narrowing the home page sidebar leaves more room for above fold content
    - The main navigation 'hover' effect is more pronounced
    - Galleries can now be shown in the same window, or in a popup window
    - Extra hints on the gallery page "800x600 visitors should display galleries in a new window, or hit F11 to enlarge viewing area."
    - Portfolio page reflects the new same page vs new window style for galleries
    - Traditional Chinese now available as a translation option
    - css file cleaned up

All comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Peter

Member #
    It's not coming up in either Firefox or IE...just not showing. Liz

Member #
    There was a problem with the server, it should come up fine now.

Peter

Member #
    I definitely find your design visually appealing, the header graphic reminds me of www.mikeindustries.com. I almost like the winter style better than the default... i think the orange footer graphic needs a little help, maybe someting darker like the color of the land from the header graphic. When I visited an image gallery and flipped thru the pics, i think the popup thumbnail for the thumbnail wasn't really necessary and added a little more confusion than usefulness... a simple thumbnail would have been good enough for me. Overall it really looks good.

Member #
    I liked the graphics, what confused me was the explanation as to what you did...I had to read thru it a couple of times to make sure I understood it. And I am fairly computer savvy. Imagine if I were computer illiterate and had wandered across your site? Maybe rewording would help some. I think what is confusing is is ALL of this done online or not? I can tell that part of it is but not all of it. Some of it is stated up front that it is done online, the other is very ambigious. Do you see what I mean?

But I like, really like the concept. Liz

Member #
    Nit picking, but the right-click disabler on the gallery page irks me. If its there to keep people from copying images, they can just turn JS off and then steal them. Most of my extensions use right-click and its annoying to have to go around your script.

Member #
    davidmastro:
    How can you possibly compare the header picture to Mike's?? I have a FAR better view! :cheeky:

I agree with the orange footer comment, I was experimenting and I've found that a plain flat colour works best. Regarding the thumbs, I wanted them to be clear and a reasonable size yet take up a small amount of page space. I have confidence in the intelligence of the typical visitor.

southernlady:
    Granted, the descriptive paragraphs need a bit of work to make them clearer.

Fallout:
    Actually, on standard sized images that are not moveable, it takes a little more than turning off javascript and dragging. Don't begrudge the small steps I've taken to deter the casual theft of my images. As you say, you can always turn off JavaScript and use your extensions. What I think is cool is that even with JavaScript turned off, most gallery features still work!

Latest changes include a new side background to match the alternate header (the snow covered mountains), and better printing through css.

Peter

Member #
    just to clarify, i didn't mean to say your header graphic looked like the trashy but tasteful industrial facility pic on the index page of Mikes website... I meant the live harbor feed on the header at the About link ( http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/about ) which by the way is just as cool as yours if it makes you feel better.

Member #
    That's fine, I was just kidding!

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads