Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: site ideas

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

my site is www.publicbelief.com I know I need to change the logo and im gona add a big poll and 1 or 2 small polls to make there 3 big polls and 5 or 6 small polls on the homepage. There will also be a threaded comment system for each poll. I also have a list of topics at the bottom so users cant vote on issues that they care about.

But my question is do you think an opinion poll site will work? And what can I have to make it better? Im just not sure people will want to go and vote. :ermm:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Your uncertainty is the answer to your own question. Polls aren't interesting to most people. Maybe the responses and data analysis are interesting to some (few), but that would require much work and programming to create a visual, graphical poll analysis engine. Nevertheless, if you're going to have a poll site, you should have that.

As to making people interested in visiting, just try to think of other things (like data analysis) that would be interesting to people who might visit a poll site, and include them on the homepage

Member #
    Polls are usually a part of a site. Once your polls have generated enough data (I'm thinking a few thousand votes), you can write articles about responses in general, and articles about the specific data you have collected. That would be interesting. Of course, this information should be displayed to people after they have voted, or it could affect the way they vote.

As for now, get your link out there, and offer some type of content on your site. Write some opinion based articles, and ask readers to submit their opinions. You could take a poll after visitors read both sides. Or offer facts about the polls you offer.

The threaded comment system seems promising. If you can turn that into a lively message board, people will come to your site (repeatedly) for your boards, and (hopefully) vote in your polls while they're there.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think transio's right in that the polls would need some form of graphical analysis as well as writeups and/or interpretations of the results, possibly stemming from commentary on the part of the voters (i.e. you may wish to add a form element for people to leave open-ended comments to indicate how they really feel and pick the best ones.)

The other way a site like that would work is to use Remote Access Scripting (one of the greatest and most underrated aspects of ASP) to allow other people to put select polls on their site "Courtesy of Public Belief". You could, in turn, sell this to advertisers who may be looking to gather demographic and/or psychographic information.

Just a thought.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Awesome idea GAME !! I particularly like the part about being a resource for free poll engines on people's sites. He could have "Poll Categories" that people subscribe to, from which they would get a fresh poll every day for their visitors.

That would be a pretty cool application. It would require quite a bit of programming though.

Member #
    sounds like a good idea, but i dont think ive had enough experience in asp to pull it off.

Member #
    ok here is what i see for the future of my site:

first of all the current logo has to go
    second if the site gets succesful i will put in live chats in flash or java.

possibilities:

comments = threaded opinion system

1) the top half of the site is polls and the bottom half is comments by users on those polls. This content could load dynamically based on the polls that the user has voted for and their interests.

2) keep polls as they are and fill in left and right columns of the site with comments by users on polls the rest is similiar to possibility #1.

3)left side of site is polls, right side is comments.

4) screw the polls and base the entire site on comments.

5) base entire site on comments with a poll for each topic.

6) your ideas go here.

any input/suggestions/comments are greatly apreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Remote Access Scripting requires surprisingly little extra programming to get it to work. The only difficult thing is to debug it.

Although this is a rather simple example, one such example can be found here: http://www.learnasp.com/learn/remotescripting.asp

I like the idea of 1) best myself. It provides a consistent structure, immediate summary information, and the chance to go into more detail if you ever need to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    my friend is working with me on the site and he says if we have comments on the home page then teenagers or some stupid people will write obsene comments. what do u guys think about that?

Member #
    The other way a site like that would work is to use Remote Access Scripting (one of the greatest and most underrated aspects of ASP) to allow other people to put select polls on their site "Courtesy of Public Belief". You could, in turn, sell this to advertisers who may be looking to gather demographic and/or psychographic information.
    Would it be better to just have them put in an iFrame that loads the poll of my site? The remote scripting looks like it would be a lot of work for my clients where and iFrame they could just copy and paste the code into their web page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads