Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am a PHP coder, but recently a client said he would like me to make a design aswell (I'v waded into design before, im not a begginer, but its jsut not my thing). It didnt need to be too complicated so I agreed. I don't really have an eye for design, so maybe if someone could give me a few pointers on the following color scheme.

It doesnt look that great... I need some suggestionas on what to make the background, the top of the navigation box, the listings (the grey + orange part now), etc. to make it look like a professional clan site. He said he wanted a color scheme of gray/black/dark blue, etc. I tried my best, but I just cant make it look like a nice site all in all. As you can see it just isnt that attractive to the eye. I would also appreciate any suggestions of graphics, etc. to add to the site, seems kinda plain
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Hi

It's not a bad start. Some tips on polishing it a bit:

1. Try centering the main content.

2. Look at http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html . If you give it a starting colour, it will give you a set of compatible colours. So if you give it a colour (for example) from the dark-red text in the top banner, it will derive a set of compatible colours. Use an 'eye dropper' to figure out the colour's hex values. You use firefox, check out colorzilla extension.

3. Maybe change the background to white? Maybe that might help, but don't know.

I am sure others will have more suggestions.
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    Yes, centering the content will make it look more professional. If you notice that everything else about the site is centered, except the content.
    Also, the heading art looks great. However it seems rather large and might be difficult for your 800 x 600 users to view the site. They might have to scroll left to right at some points and that could irritate the users. But if you feel that you dont need 800 x 600 as a standard, that's fine. I usually try to fit all my headings, contents, and footers at 800 x 600.
    Also, i did not check the width of your heading exactly so i could be wrong just givng you insight.
    I wouldn't go to crazy with a backround image, since you have data that needs to be read.
    I hope you can find this usefull.
    Coming this summer...Optimum Site.Com !
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    I wouldn't necessarily stick to an 800 X 600 res due to the fact that your targeting gamers. What gamer is going to have an 800 X 600 res? I would break the header up a bit, it's a bit overwhelming. when I started designing my designs were very boxy, which is not really bad because it served the purpose of determining content areas and different sections of the page. I would suggest going this route to get your feet wet a bit. stick with reds and oranges for a palette to match your banner. change the background to be considerably lighter, or considerably darker. When you're in the mid color-neutral gray area it looks almost like default browser chrome, which in turn makes it look like you didn't take the time to change defaults. I know the default is white, but old-school users may remember the days of gray backgrounds, and that's another point - it makes your site look old.
    drew beta - Portfolio, Blog500 - Graduate Studies Blog, WP4P - Blog, Life in Beta - Music Podcast for Nerds

Remove Ads