Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Please comment

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello!

I posted in this forum a while ago about a redesign of the Sweden Design site... I've now done the header and its menu as well as the sidebar, but I need your help.

First of all I'd like to get comments on improvements. (It's appriciated if you have a solution of how to accomplish the improvement if you comment on it)

Secondly I need some help with CSS. 2 things about the sidebar: 1) It doesn't stretch down, and faux columns is very hard being where I am currently with the layout, and the height property is either 100% or I don't use it. However, maybe someone here who knows the DOM in Javascript could do a little script that checks browser viewport height, subtracts about 120px from it and then appends that height property to the #sidebar box. (please anyone?)
    2) I'd like to have a shadow on it as I had previously. As you can see I'm using a png shadow and would like to do so with the sidebar too - does anyone have an answer to how I might fix this? (if you don't then I'll try to figure it out myself - if I just can get the height correct)

Another thing I need help with is the methodology page -- if the content area is too small the wrapper doesn't go all the way down. Maybe the same javascript could fix this?

Lastly I want to be able to insert a blue background color under the first part of the content area where I wish to have an image... I think I got the same problem, or logical problem here, as I have with the sidebar... Any suggestions?

It's done purely in CSS with sprites for the menu which makes it very easy to update any menu design... It was really really hard to get it all correct - just have a look at the semi transparent shadow on top that moves over an uneven background!!

Content is loaded thought ASP .Net and User Controls.

The page is at http://194.236.30.84/swedendesign2/?css=2.
    Doesn't work in IE due to the XML style sheets and that I haven't bothered programming the part to switch XML style sheets for IE when using the style switcher (i.e. the ?css=x)... Furthermore it wouldn't work anyway since the layout is really advanced. (like position:fixed, pixel-perfect margins etc)...

After my minimocks I'll also add sIFR heading replacements to get the right font.

Have a look!

Member #
    Since I get no comments I'm now adding a turtle dollar offer for that dude/chick who comments the best improvement.

Member #
    Sorry dude, didn't see the thread before.

Mild problem in Safari on the side; see attached screen. Don't know what exactly the problem is in the code because I didn't take a look at it yet, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Hello Eddy
    No that's not a problem
    That just means that you have already visited version two of my site, which is good , but still it's not a problem. It all boils down to the browser caching the second style sheet. Just press F5 m8.

Member #
    It's a good idea if your site works well with all browsers especially Internet Explorer.

There’s a lot of white (orange) space.
    The orange side thing that starts off as a rectangular shape and fades at the bottom is big and doesn't seem to have a purpose.
    Blue Wolf Web Design - Will always get better!

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    I believe he meant that it was already fixed and that he is suggesting to clear your cache so that you see the latest version of the site.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Okay, sorry to get back to you so late. The site is really cool. I love the layout. One thing I think would make it cool would be to use a semi-transparent png for the rollover on the left nav (obviously then use a hack to display what is currently there for IE users). It might add to the overall coolness of the site, lol.

Member #
    Hi Eddy and Peter (and wired then of course)!

Peter: Would that be the new with the css=2 address or are you talking about the normal site? (the one with or without css=1 without css=2 that is) Of course it's ment to work for all browsers, and I agree, a lot of my traffic is IE, unfortunately, but the second design is more like an experiment how far I can take css so I'll leave it up for anyone who wants to view that new design to upgrade the browser. (the first one looks a little less good in IE, but still looks ok.

The thingy at the bottom - you must mean the normal site layout... (css=1) - thanks for the tip. I'll look into it Thinking something that looks ripped off with the cuts u get from a toilet paper holder, at the bottom, with black as background. Would that be better do you think?

Wirded: correct.

Eddy: The left nav = the green "featured content"? Do you mean that instead of a background colour change in the css, like it is now, I should have an image replacement of some kind? And by semi-transparent - how exactly do you mean? (keep the suggestions comming)

Member #
    Yes, the "featured content" part.

Here's an example: http://notionwebdesign.com/blog/test/main.php

See the difference in FF and IE?

Click the "Create post" link to see the semi-trans in the way of an input form also (the action has been disabled, obviously). Looks really nice in my humble opinion.

Remove Ads