Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello Everyone,
    I'm rather shy about posting on new forums, but this one is as good as any to get over that.
    My site is a world arts and cultures portal and because of its name, some people come to the site expecting issues mostly related to popular culture. The site however, is an attempt to highlight global arts, cultures and topics. It's open to all and hopefully, not elitist in any form.
    I would truly appreciate feedback on all aspects of the site which can be found at www.shwing.com.

Thanks for your time.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinger
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm rather shy about posting on new forums, but this one is as good as any to get over that.
    My site is a world arts and cultures portal and because of its name, some people come to the site expecting issues mostly related to popular culture. The site however, is an attempt to highlight global arts, cultures and topics. It's open to all and hopefully, not elitist in any form.
    I would truly appreciate feedback on all aspects of the site which can be found at www.shwing.com.

Thanks for your time.
    Hi to start off with this is my first post here so hi to everyone

The layout of the site is great flows really nicely, only a couple of criticisms

1. The banner ad tends to put me off a bit, everytime i try to concentrate on the site my eye shoots back to the banner ad, not saying remove the banner ad just moving it would suffice imo.

2. The top right hand corner "World Arts & Cultures" in my mind seems out of place and gives the site an undeserving cheap feel, I personally would maybe incorporate that text within the logo, or maybe even make it a bit smaller may help.

Apart from that I love the site got a really good feel to it.

Hope this helps

Philicom
    Virtual Presence, Actual Ideas

Member #
    Hello Philicom,

I'm honored that you've made this your first post.

One of the frustrations with designing web pages is keeping a delicate balance between aesthetics and function (especially related to search engines). The large titles were added recently for SEO purposes -- supposedly header tags are very important, but I hear you and I might have to think up a better strategy.

As for the banner, I'm not tied to it and if it bugs users, I'd much rather get rid of it.

Thanks for taking time to review the site.

Member #
    The banners are history. How liberating! That was painless.

Member #
    Me, being a designer to know how frustrating it can be getting the balance, just had a peek now and much better.

Easy on the eye, impressed, nice one.
    Virtual Presence, Actual Ideas

Member #
    Thanks again, I'll have to sleep on a strategy for the header titles.
    Let me know if you need feedback as well.

Cheers!

Member #
    I put the banner back
    A few people said the top looked empty and the banners added a "break" to the top. I'll keep it until I figure something out.

Remove Ads