Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone.

I've been designing a website for a band. It's at http://www.newclearview.co.uk

It's been pretty much written in KWRITE that comes as part of the KDE interface with Linux. I use this because I prefer to work directly with the HTML/CSS and it offers syntax highlighting and code folding which is a superb feature.

Does anyone like my site? Is it garbage? Is it eye-catching? I think I ask these questions because I have been working on the thing for so long that I don't know what to think anymore!

I should also state that I know some of the graphics may look amateurish - I know this because I designed them myself. I'm not completely worried by this and I hope it does not interfere with anyone's navigation - if it does then please say.

There's no PHP and very little Javascript involved. I stuck by this because I felt it would be easier to maintain.

Thanks for any feedback

Member #
    Do you play "Miami Vice" era retro music? If not, I don't think the pastel colours suit your band. Making entire paragraphs of text may not be the best way to go, why not just make the heading into a link instead?

Peter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pmj7
    Do you play "Miami Vice" era retro music? If not, I don't think the pastel colours suit your band. Making entire paragraphs of text may not be the best way to go, why not just make the heading into a link instead?

Peter
    Hmmm - you think the colours aren't right? What colours would you suggest please?

What's wrong with paragraphs of text? I thought content was the main thing about web design.

Thanks

Member #
    There's a whole rainbow of colours to choose from, I'm just suggesting that you avoid pastels.

There's nothing wrong with paragraphs of text. Just link a word, phrase or title, not an entire paragraph. It's overkill.

Peter

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm not realy a big fan of the colours. Maybe tone them down a bit.

Also if possible it would be worth using Flash for the sample music, just imbed the track in a file with a simple start and stop button, a preloader would be a nice touch.

Main reason for this is that the Flash plugin is more popular, some poeple still don't have or want the Quick time plugin (me for example).

Member #
    Hi and thanks all for getting back to me.

pmj7 - I've noted what you said about the paragraph links. I will replace that with a more simpler link, but keeping the paragraphs. That's ok, isn't it?

pmj7 and Richard S - The colours thing is going to be hassle. I've read online about using "analogous" colours (similair colours) with a highlight colour to make any particular thing stand out. I'm worried that whatever colour it's changed to that there will still be criticism. Is it possible that I've got the "analogous" colours thing wrong? Would you mind suggesting what colours to use instead? Sorry!

Richard S - Flash is going to be a no-no. I can't afford to use Flash and somebody else commmented on how fast the site loads. Flash will slow it down (not by much I know) but perhaps it's speed is it's talking point!

Many thanks and please get back to me!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi sulligogs,

It's not the colours in genreal it's mainly the turquios backgraound to the text, maybe the bright blue header as well.

I don't think it was this thread, but recently someone suggested to look at the colour scheam of this site (Web design Forums). I think the same applies to your site.

Keep the blues, but just make them more like the pafge your currently looking at.

I agree the site loads quick and thats due to your good use of CSS. I didn't mean use Flash for the whole site, jst for the little pop-up windows, you could always offer both Quicktime and Flash.

Plus if your on a budget you can get a free trial of SwishMax, whihc IMHO is easier to learn than Flash, but dose the same job.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard S
    Hi sulligogs,

It's not the colours in genreal it's mainly the turquios backgraound to the text, maybe the bright blue header as well.

I don't think it was this thread, but recently someone suggested to look at the colour scheam of this site (Web design Forums). I think the same applies to your site.

Keep the blues, but just make them more like the pafge your currently looking at.

I agree the site loads quick and thats due to your good use of CSS. I didn't mean use Flash for the whole site, jst for the little pop-up windows, you could always offer both Quicktime and Flash.

Plus if your on a budget you can get a free trial of SwishMax, whihc IMHO is easier to learn than Flash, but dose the same job.
    I think I've just hit it on the head, Richard S. I think you mean to use shades of white and tints of colour. It adds up - I hope!

Thanks Richard S - this website designer (yeah right) needs a bit of pick-me-up from time to time.

Cheers!!!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think you mean to use shades of white and tints of colour. It adds up - I hope!
    LOL, yes thats what I was trying to say.

Member #
    Like this:

Article Title
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Or this:

Article Title
    Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... full story

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads