Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm thinking on making a new style for my vbulletin forums, but trying to please people is difficult, since many people have different tastes, i make something professional looking, and some moan that theres something wrong or it doesn't suit something, i make it more themed, and it's turned against me, so i'm asking from a design point of view, what would you want to see on a forum, what colours look best, what type of postbit, any special effects you like or hacks that work well. i like the way the WDF style looks cause it has a great contrast of colour (since i like greyscale colours and blue) and looks very profressional, i want a style like that, but usually when i try to copy a certain style, it turns out nothing like it, so thats out of the question, i wanted to make something kinda like what rapsearch.com has on their forums, the way the forum list is laid out and the cellspacing looks good, but what would you say looks good. I know for sure that i am gonna add only hacks with add new features, not small ones which only change a certain thing, and i want to use my photoshop skills in some way on the forum, although i'm not too good with interface things, like side images for categories

JR
    Member #
    just go for a modern, stylish look and theme it whatever it is on. Use the colours associated with whatever the subject is on in the forum. If there are no colours associated with it go for one predominant dark colour and a couple of light colours - whites and greys - they are the best colours to use IMO.

Of course we will be in here to tell you how to make it look better when you have started creating it :classic:
    JR

Member #
    well as you can see from the link in my signiture, it's an anime forum, and it's a total mess, last style was good, but this one kinda sucks, i gave into member requests and it didn't turn out so good, also would you happen to have any examples of what you would call modern and stylish, cause usually many have a thin line of what they call stylish and what they call trendwhorish

JR
    Member #
    wdf is a great example of modern and stylish, with attention to detail such as fades, shadows, curves and transparency in the right places, whilst sticking to the theme by adding code to the background of graphics etc. The colour scheme fits the stylish part :classic:
    JR

Member #
    i agree with what you say about WDF, but i don't really want to copy from WDF, something i'd like to have on a forum style is innovation as well as it looking modern and stylish, i was looking at some mac styles, and think they look quite good, so do you know anything kinda like a mac style

JR
    Member #
    by the way your current forum has potential, but is distinctly lacking a header on that header background and the colours need changing too something that contrasts less heavily. You should have got rid of the default buttons and the forum doesnt really tell me that it is an animie forum, it just looks pretty default. :classic:
    JR

JR
    Member #
    yes a mac style would be good to use because it looks great, but it you would have to cleverly place in lots of anime drawings etc. to make it feel more like an anime forum rather than a computer board. Have a look around similar sites and remember good points from them to get some ideas for your new site, i think that is the best way to go :classic:
    JR

Member #
    One problem with it being an anime board, is that most sites tend to copy (occasionally rip as well), other peoples styles, they all seem to go for a greyscale background now with some flashy abstract banner with anime pics on, trying to be original from that is kinda hard when you're dealing with a similar style. Another forum i liked was the DirectPixel style, since it was very simplistic, yet looked great

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There are about a billion anime boards already.

DirectPixel makes good-looking styles but IMO they don't have enough contrast and are too bright; they're usually gray on white.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ULTiMATE: the best three things you can do are to keep the look simple and clean, to make sure your text contrasts with your backgrounds (black on white or a light colour is always the best way to go, I don't give a damn what anyone else ever says), and to try not to deviate from more than a two or at most three-colour scheme (shades are acceptable, just don't start doing all sorts of rainbow stuff with it.) Do that and you'll be fine.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads