Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is my first visit to this forum so hello to all, I'll try and give my opinions on other peoples website when I have something useful to say but for now I thought I'd post my site and see what people think. Its a non-profit science website aimed at kids/big kids. My main problem is that I haven't tested the site in anything but Explorer so if anyone could point out any big problems using any other browsers it would be great! thanks, Kat

Member #
    For all you non-psychics: http://www.ratlab.co.uk

Member #
    A bit more contrast between the text and the background would be nice.

The remote rollovers may be confusing to some users.

The larger text shows aliasing on system that doesn't antialias text by default (windows :]), and the titles are a bit bland - try using something other than arial.

hope that was helpful :]

Member #
    It seems pretty good at further depth, but on the surface, it is difficult to become aquainted with. Try tuning down the contrasting colors a little and you should be better off, but it is ultimately clean and friendly.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    The rollovers are slow to work on the top menu.

Side note: House of Help has a Lab Rat section
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's very slow... are you hosting it on a 56k connection or something?

First thing I notice is that you're not sizing your images... so as the page is loading bits keep jumping around the place... if you size your images then the browser will know how much space to reserve for each component.

You may also wish to consider using css to position your content rather than tables. This will speed up access times...

There's something a bit strange going on with your tables as well... in a bit of a hurry at the moment so haven't time to look in depth at the code, but you have a different number of <td></td> pairs on some of the rows without using the colspan attribute...

Sean

Member #
    Hi,
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it might take me some time to get through them all! Not sure whats up with my tables? css for positioning would be good if I had any idea what it is (still in the process of teaching myself this website thing).

I've noticed the site is a bit slow too- its odd as it used to be a lot better. I have no idea what connection speed I use, all I know is that my host provider (Easyspace) was great to start with and recently things have started to go wrong, not sure if that has anything to do with the slowness.

I've darkened my text and will think a bit more about the colour scheme. Can someone tell me what antialias means?
    Kat

Member #
    AA means soften the edges.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

Member #
    Hello Super Squirrel

The remote rollover are okay for those who notice them and unobtrusive to those who don't. BUT the makepovertyhistory link covers the content in the rollover so it cuts off the first letter.

And, I'm wondering why you have dog prints for your RatLab?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    My attempts at drawing rat paws looked like really creepy human hands and they scared me, the site also wasn't rat themed to start with. Only 2 people have mentioned the non-ratness of the prints so far!

I keep meaning to sort out the make poverty history thingy, might just get rid of it.

Remove Ads