Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

To start off, I know you all are going to hate the fact that I used frames. PLEASE don't base your judgement of the site simply on that, because my friends seem to like em', and that's what I'm buliding the site for...normal people that don't care about Standard Coding and whatnot. So, please just give me suggestions and review my unfinished site...

www.wizdude.com

check out my sites:

BNSAL: www.bnsal.com
    WIZDUDE: www.wizdude.com

Member #
    You can't tell people not to judge a site based on the use of frames because it's a critical part in the usability of the site.

It is an inconvenience that there are 3 scrolling areas. The third, on the right, scrolls horizontally. I just don't understand the concept behind splitting up the navigation, content, and decoration unless you plan on using SSI. It seems like an absence of layout rather than a good layout technique. This criticism has nothing to do with 'standard coding,' and I don't hate frames (they have their purposes), but normal people do care about usability and there is a major issue with that on the site.

I do not understand the concept behind the cursor change either.

Member #
    When I see two scroll bars in the middle of the page I get very disoriented for a few seconds... and in that few seconds I have a tendency to close the window. Other than that, it looks good so far.

Member #
    Center frame seems too wide, lots of white space left and right of content. Maybe put the blog in the right frame, and the content in the center? Agree with Eddy on the frames...

Member #
    I like the general design of it wizdude, but why couldn't you have just used CSS or SSI to acheive the same effect. I know it's not intended for the business/design community - but who's inspired by horizontal scrolling

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Do your friends like frames, per se, or do they perceive that the way they want the site to look and feel can only be done with frames? If the latter, then there are many alternative ways to produce the effect they require which would avoid the side-effects of frames...

...which are...
    a) The URL at the top of the screen does not change when you move around the site. This effectively means that visitors can't bookmark, or link to, individual areas. As the site grows this may become a problem.
    b) Suppose that *you* want to promote an individual part of your site. "Look at this article that I wrote a few weeks ago, may be useful"... do you want folks to go to your front page everytime and then have to search for it, or do you want to link directly? How will you link directly... what URL would you send them?
    c) Search engines will, undoubtedly, end up indexing the individual pages. So when somebody finds your article on Google (let's say) and clicks on it what will they see? Well, this I guess... http://www.wizdude.com/shoutbox.htm ...so where's the navigation? What is this site?

Well enough of that... now... anyway...

I LIKE the right hand warning - it's amusing and adds a sense of fun to the site. One thing, though... if you reduced it in size a touch and removed the whitespace at the top it would quite easily fit (at 1024x768 at least) on the screen without a scroll. I think all the different designs you've done on that right hand frame work well...

As somebody else said I think you're underutilising the middle pane with the blog permanantly displayed with all that whitespace. It would be more "normal" in terms of design to keep the left and/or right panes static and put the changing content (eg. blog, affiliates, random project etc.) in the middle... you might also want to consider a three-column layout on the front page switching to two-columns for the rest of the site. Gives the site a less cluttered feel...

I DISLIKE the three scrolling areas. I would, personally, make the left and right panes fixed with no scroll. It is then up to you whether you have a scrollbar on the centre pane or just let the page scroll naturally with the normal scrollbar. I'm guessing that you want the content left and right to stay still whilst they scroll the centre so you'll want the inline scrolling for that centre pane. This can be achieved with frames as you have it, an inline frame (which may be better from the point-of-view of bookmarks etc. as above) or with a div with overflow: auto; property.

I also dislike one aspect of your content; this...

6/2/05
    Well I got the snottiest reply from those forums...let's not post this site again shall we?
    I feel this is a trifle unfair and is not going to endear you to the design communities...

Sean

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback... but that last bit of content was pretty necessary. On the other forum I went to, someone replied with "Frames are ****"...and listed why frames were horrible...and how I was dumb do use them.

check out my sites:

BNSAL: www.bnsal.com
    WIZDUDE: www.wizdude.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That forum is not one that I have really frequented, but I signed up today as there seems some good stuff on there... it does seem, however, that their style is a little different to this place... I like the friendliness on here...

I do think, however, that you need to assure yourself that you really need to use frames... my point (c) above is something you should consider... do you want a large proportion of new visitors to your site (via search engines) to just see one frame rather than the site? Is that going to work for you?

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, no offense dude but it's expected. It's as if you make a full length album and record it on 8-track. Then you walk into a major label and say "I konw it's on 8-track, but please don't let that distract from the fact that you should distribute it."

To me, coding is more web design than the actual design process. The web isn't so simple any more. You can't get away with a website "just working" in the professional world. But, then again, that's me - and I have a very different view about the web than most everyone else.

Other than the frames, it looks like you found the Photoshop custom shapes button and Impact. Sorry to be harsh, but with the frames you can't even try for a minimalistic look. It's like looking through a broken winsheild
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads