Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi i have created a website for a friend for their shop, it is very basic at the moment and i have only really got the layout together, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated however bad it may be, none of the links are functional yet, the test url is:
    http://i.domaindlx.com/sportbiz/papillon/index.htm

told you it was a test url lol

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    A bit too green, the green takes over from the rest of the content.

Also not too sure about the flash nav in the main area. Dosn't come across as very organised.

Nice menu to the left though.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you have too much on that front page... you have your links three times, first on the Javascript menu, then in the centre of the page, and then at the base of the page. I would agree with Richard that the centre navigation appears disorganised... I was not aware it was Flash, but if it is then you need to consider what will be displayed when folks don't have the plug-in... the bottom links are good in principle... it is generally advised that if you do have Javascript navigation you should also have some sort of alternative navigation (for text readers, folks with Javascript disabled etc.)... my only comment would be that the vertical style takes up rather a lot of space and looks out of place. Have you considered displaying the links horizontally?

In Firefox the horizontal text along the top ("Yankee Candle.... cards") is slipping over onto a second line. You may wish to consider pixel-defined text sizing in order to ensure that the font is rendered consistently across browsers. It also appears that the main content block (it of the disorganised navigation) has a higher priority than your Javascript navigation so on the "Products" Javascript menu the corner of the main block overlaps the options resulting in "Candle Accessori", "Furniture and Mir" and "Women's Occasio"...

Try to get more consistent vertical alignment... your Javascript menu options are slightly right of the word "Select:", and the Search is significantly right of them. Would look better if all three were aligned left. Also if you must do the "Our Products" link as vertical bullets I would advise aligning them with the header above.

And finally... the logo needs some work. It needs to be more clearly defined...

Sean

Member #
    thanks for the replies, yeah i know about the logo still got to get round to doing that, seanmiller may i ask which browser are you using because all the browsers i have tested on have the menu overlapping the flash content? that is Firefox, Opera, IE & Netscape (oh and lynx).

Unfortunately the green is out of my control but i do agree it is a bit daunting and in your face and am going to try and persuade him.

The javascript menu does have a noscript section which has the links for browsers without js support and that was another reason for the bullet point links at the bottom.

Also i have created a script where if your screen resolution is larger than 800x600px thenon the line ("Yankee Candle.... cards") it will increase the top padding so that it is vertically aligned in the center but it doesn't look like it worked. I did this because i didn't want to set a pixel-defined font size becasue of accessibility but i take your point on board and may consider changing it.

Thanks again for your time and effort

Remove Ads