Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, this site is still in development as you will see
    ive been experimenting and trying to learn about web design since about january

http://www.deadhippo.com/

im going to change the nav bar, but it will retain a similar style
    also some of the older photo albums i did with tempaltes they wil all be replaced with a design matching the reat of the site
    there are two examples already

http://www.deadhippo.com/photo_album...val_thumbs.htm
    http://www.deadhippo.com/photo_album...koi_nobori.htm
    i want to add a search feature
    do you think i should add it on everypage as part of the top nav or give it its own page?

if you have any other comments feel free - im thick skinned, so criticize away

Member #
    nice site. i like it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by billysielu
    nice site. i like it.
    thank you
    what do you think would improve it

Member #
    The Albums are really nice.

It's giving me kind of a newsletter feel. Everything on the home page is elaborated elsewhere. I would redesign the home page to better utilize the horizontal space.

Gorgeous photo on top. Seemless!

Maybe do a mail form, instead of just listing your email. And why two emails?

Put the forum in a target:_blank.

Question: what's the origin of the name deadhippo?

And about the only thing I don't like at all is the extremely dark drop shadow on the title.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    The Albums are really nice.
    thanks

It's giving me kind of a newsletter feel. Everything on the home page is elaborated elsewhere. I would redesign the home page to better utilize the horizontal space.
    im not quite sure what you mean by that
    could you elaborate

Maybe do a mail form, instead of just listing your email. And why two emails?
    ive been considering that and thats a very good point, thank you

Put the forum in a target:_blank.
    it was like that until my attempts at making the forum lok like the rest of the site...that ended in failure..but ill try again

Question: what's the origin of the name deadhippo?
    im not wuite ready to say[/QUOTE]

And about the only thing I don't like at all is the extremely dark drop shadow on the title.
    this final point im not too sure about because i like that effect
    actually its going to be changed anyway when i change the nav bar ..but still includes th drop shadow
    if you have time, check back in a week or so and tell me if you still think the same way
    chances are if you dont like it, other people dont aswell

btw...thanks for you reply, it was very useful

Member #
    What are your plans for the navigation? I think the navigation looks fine but the picture of the rollercoaster (?) is realy big. maybe lay the navigation across the middle of that picture. And we already know that it is deadhippo.com, maybe you could write dead hippo using kanji or something?

The compression sorta shows a little bit on the skyline at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you could somehow optimise that to look beter or something.

Also, maybe you could use a random image generator to use different pictures for the header.

I attached a quick thing I made in photoshop to show what I mean, although the kanji doesn't say dead hippo. It's just an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka
    What are your plans for the navigation? I think the navigation looks fine but the picture of the rollercoaster (?) is realy big. maybe lay the navigation across the middle of that picture. And we already know that it is deadhippo.com, maybe you could write dead hippo using kanji or something?
    well, the nav will contain the logo, ill get rid of the logo from the main body
    yes the roller coaster (actually yokohama art structure) will be reduced in size and maybe replaced

i wont change the name to kanji though
    deadhippo is a personal thing not related to yokohama
    The compression sorta shows a little bit on the skyline at the bottom of the screen. Maybe you could somehow optimise that to look beter or something.
    im not too sure what you mean here
    which browser do you use?

Also, maybe you could use a random image generator to use different pictures for the header.
    this sounds like a great idea..is there a thread that tell you how to do this? or can you point me in the right direction
    ive seen it on other sites and i thought it would be good for me

i really appreciate the feedback and if ive been rude or too direct forgive me cuz im drunk

Member #
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/as...le.php/3470051 can tell you about the random images, but read http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/as...le.php/3470021 first.

Images use different kinds of compression meathods, to make the file size smaller. If you have photoshop and you save a .jpg, you'll notice that it asks you how high of a quality you want. A low quality compresses the file alot, and the picture get's grainy, pixelated and ugly. A high quality does not compress the file as much, and the result is a better picture. What I mean when I say the compression shows, is I can see a little bit of pixelation and grain. But looking back on the picture, it's not bad.

You weren't rude, but being drunk is a bad excuse for anything. If you don't think you can handle yourself while drunk, you probably shouldn't post.
    Jason

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/as...le.php/3470051 can tell you about the random images, but read http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/as...le.php/3470021 first.

Images use different kinds of compression meathods, to make the file size smaller. If you have photoshop and you save a .jpg, you'll notice that it asks you how high of a quality you want. A low quality compresses the file alot, and the picture get's grainy, pixelated and ugly. A high quality does not compress the file as much, and the result is a better picture. What I mean when I say the compression shows, is I can see a little bit of pixelation and grain. But looking back on the picture, it's not bad.

You weren't rude, but being drunk is a bad excuse for anything. If you don't think you can handle yourself while drunk, you probably shouldn't post.

thanks for the tip and the fatherly advice :bandit:
    well, im afraid asp isnt compatible with my server ... is there another way?

Member #
    In reference to horizontal space:
    Right now there is a centered content area in the browser. And a scrollbar. My personal style is that all the important content should be accessible on the homepage without a scroll. Personally, I think you have some very strong graphics, and the skyline is so far down on the layout that it's almost missed, chopped off in a way.

I also noticed the same thing Kefka said about the compression. However, I don't think it is too bad. You could just open the jpeg file and gently go around the edges to fix it pixel by pixel.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads