Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: the best layout is...

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • the original

1 16.67%
  • the new one

5 83.33%
  • one of the other concepts

0 0%
  • nah, they're about the same

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I had originally planned for the current layout at www.pureweb.ca to be a temporary site to hold my info etc, while I developed a better version. Right now I'm working on my business card, some brochures, and a possible rebranding of my firm (pureweb sounds a bit generic..), and I'm trying to keep a consistent look.

I've been looking at the design for way too long to be objective, so I'd appreciate some oppinions on the new design, as well as some of my other concepts (attached)

the new layout's at www.pureweb.ca/v4/
    (links not functional), and the latest work image is a place holder for a flash file that will show screenshots of the latest design.

thx for the feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    I like the current one, it looks sophisticated yet simple and elegant. The new one doesn't have that feeling, in my opinion. It is great work nonetheless, I just like the current one better.

Member #
    in the new one i think you should pull the title in the header over a little to the left and bring the clouds of on the right hand side do that it looks like the white space on the left is part of the cloud

the original is boring compared to the new version
    the new version has spunk
    but anyway in the origianls showcase you should apply a title attribute to tell us what we will find if we decide to click

also this page has a render error on firefox

http://www.pureweb.ca/services.html

Member #
    The v4 looks great. But, instead of having the header image with the clouds an img, replace it with this:
    Code:
    <h1 id="clouds"><span>Pureweb Designs</span></h1>
    and add this to your CSS file:
    Code:
    h1#clouds {
          display: block;
          width: 656px;
          height: 350px;
          background: #FFF url(images/main.jpg) no-repeat;
    }
    h1#clouds span { display: none; }

Member #
    I'm liking 8b.

v4 has too much stuff before the actual content. I think the top image takes up way too much space.

But 8b... I like the thin look with the little box on the side. I like how the portfolio links line up in the orange bar. I don't like the name though, but I see how it makes sense with the layout.

Member #
    yurivish:
    yes, I agree that the original is more elegant, but I have to consider my target audience. Clients looking for web designers are probably going to be more impressed by strong emphasis of the brand than subtle sophistication.

deadhippo:
    thanks, spunk was what I was going for. The rendering errors are a part of why I'm redesigning, it shows up on all the pages intermittently. (couldn't find a solution for that one..) I might change the clouds, but I'm liking the implicit alignment of the masthead and portfolio image.

Sanim:
    I used image replacement for the rest of the graphic text, but forgot the main image, thx for the tip :]

Eddy Bones:
    I'd agree with you for content based sites, but in this case, the graphics is a part of the message. One of the reasons I did not use that particular design was that it looked too "stiff", not the image I'd like to project for a creative firm.

I'm redesigning to include new functionality (client login), and to unify web and print marketing, as I'm about to begin a direct mail campaign. From your feedback I'm leaning towards v4 right now, though further comments are welcome.

I just realized the navigation doesn't work for ie.. any suggestions on that?

edit: fixed in ie

Member #
    Definitely the current one. It looks more professional than the others to me
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    hm.. personally I think the grey isn't very memorable and shows a lack of creativity... but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Member #
    I like the new one with the clouds, and I love that blue color. but move the 'pure web designs' so that the b and s don't run into those bars, and so the top of the letters don't run off the sky, it makes it harder to read.

What I would do, is I would put the navigation in a similair font as the header, in the upper left area of the sky. i would also remove the latest works area, and I would make everything that's pink, that lovely dark blue color. You could take the two bars in the header, make them horizontal, and that blue color, and use those instead of the black dotted line on the rest of the page. Maybe you could make somekind of footer that would be similair to the header.

I think doing some of those things would unite and standardize the entire page, which sounds like something you where wanting to do.
    Jason

Member #
    points taken, but I think the pink provides contrast to the blue. A completely monochromatic layout is a part of the problem of the original layout.

ps. notice the font choice, it's meant to be stylized and hard to read :]
    and I'm not sure what you mean by the two bars in the header..

the dotted line didn't really come up as I planned.. what I was trying to do can be seen here: www.pureweb.ca/myimages/ps.jpg

thx for the comments :]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads