Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

http://www.ssnmentalhealth.co.uk

This is my first 'real' site for a 'proper' client, so I'm hoping to get it right :classic:

It's for a small charitable organisation dealing with Mental Health in the Midlands of the UK. None of the database content is up yet seeing as it's a temperary location, but I've just put it up to see if the client likes it - although she hasn't got back to me yet so I don't know.

What do you think?

(Note: I'm aware of the footer glitch on the splash page in Firefox / Mozilla)

Update: The site has now moved to it's permanent location, and the footer glitch has been fixed.
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    you might want to proof read what you wrote .

The page is very friendly. "Welcome!" grabbed my attention, probably becuase it's the boldest thing on the page. Also, the color and the exclaimation point make it friendly too. I like how you had the intro leads into the navigation. And I like how the navigation goes back to the normal spot on the other pages.

However, the site seems to think it's easter time, that scribble on the page even looks like an easter egg .

Also, although "can we help?" is more passive and friendly, it might be better to say "we can help". I'm not realy sure which is better. If your client is a phycologist, maybe he/she could tell you which option would be better, or any other psyhcological tricks you can use .
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the comments

The sign on the homepage is a 'hug' sign, you can sort of make out the two people hugging.

Why does it look like easter? How can I make it not...? :nervous:

The 'can we help' was on the client's previous site (which I'm redesigning) and I was told to just 'copy and paste' all the content (in the areas that are staying the same).

Member #
    You can make it less easter by making the 'hug sign' more clear. I had no clue what that was until you told us.

Looks good otherwise.

Member #
    Just because you were instructed to copy and paste doesnt mean that you cant correct spelling/ gramatical errors that the previous designer made.
    It looks good the calendar isnt loading corectly at least not in FF. Also to make it less of an "easter" feel you can take the opacity of the back ground a little darker it would make the white content sections stick out more. Also the nav bar is on the bottom of the homepage and the top of the rest. You could put one on top, and one on bottom for better navigation and consitancy.
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Member #
    Nice job! If you're pondering on whether to put 2 nav bars on the page as web_designers said, I would recommend putting just one on top, but if you would like to put 2, its up to u!
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    In all fairness top navigation is more standard and users often are more used to it than bottom navigation. Either way you have to change it because it's not consistant and the users will get confused by the change. Well, or anoyed. But if you do both its just more convient because they dont have to scroll up a page to get to a diffrent section of the site.
    When life gets you down grab some M&M's.
    http://www.lebanonequestrians.org

Member #
    I like how the intro leads into the navigation on the homepage. :ermm:

it looks eastery because it's all pastel, and the "egg" confirms it . I think it looks good though.
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had the navigation on the splash page at the bottom because, as Kefka said, users will (hopefully) read the introduction and then finish it and spot the navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by the_designers
    Either way you have to change it
    Excuser moi, mais je ne dois pas de rien si je ne voudrais pas!

I think it would be impractical and would downright look awkward to have more navigation at the bottom, and I think when people exit the intro page and go into the main site, they'll see the layout is broken (the main content stretches down over the box on the splash page) and so they'll re-assess the page anyway.

I'm aware of the problem on the calendar page in Firefox, although I figure I just need to fiddle around a bit with it (the widths of the boxes are messed up).

Regarding the 'Can We Help?' message, I think I'll keep it as that and not change it to 'We Can Help.' This is a bit too strong for my liking, especially on a site for the mentally ill, and as a statement it sounds more like an order than a gentle offering of 'Can We Help?'

I'll try and make the 'easter egg' more of a hug, and maybe contrast the logo and the border around the page a bit more too? And the background thing as well.

Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming!

Member #
    The monochrome style is a bit bland for my taste. Also, there's a bit too much emphasis on detail that probably shouldn't be on the first page. You talk about the regions you support, and your trustees. How about what you actually do? What services do you provide? Programs? Government funding or pay as you go? If I'm wealthy, maybe there should be a link for 'generous donations accepted here.' Maybe I have an emergency, what do I do? Who is the site for, those affected or their family/friends/doctors?

In any case, is a paragraph listing all regions the best way to go? Given it is a LIST, why not show it as a list. Or maybe a map?

Instead of just a list of pages in your navigation, how about a brief intro to each one, kind of like news stories on the first page of a newspaper? The goal of the site is to get people to read more, right? If people KNOW what they'll find when they click on a link, they're more likely to actually click.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads