Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello folks. The last time I built a web site, I received excellent advice here. So here I am trying again.

The special design uses SSI to separate the basic "text" from the navigation margin, etc.--so that the same files can be used to print the "hard copy" catalog.

Well, considering my goal of minimal effort, I am pleased with the result. What do you think? Please go to:

Vitamin Shelf.com discount natural health supplements & guide

--Krystof

Member #
    hmmm... the problem in trying to save effort in making one design for print and web is it ends up looking like you have tried to save effort. The web and print are two different medias and although you can create a matching look and feel what works for one dosent work for the other.

The website is confusing and unfriendly to navigate, it acts very strangly in firefox and design wise is non appealing.

I notice images of bottles, i personally like to see the bottles clearly, not small and hidden, straight away i thought about those spam emails selling tablets and whatsnot..

The text layout and formatting seems to have no real structure, just everything slapped on the page, your headings dont stand out, everything just flows into one big block of text blur.

im sorry for all the negative feedback, but i think it is better to be honest,

samp
    http://www.4pd.com.au
    Design Industries
    http://www.di.net.au

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There is good advice here. The original idea was that the same text also could be used for an e-magazine. That's why I avoided fancy headings. However, I can "highlight" the headings without disturbing the text.

Maybe you are right, but I will not give up so easily on finding an effective compromise between text and web design. It would be a major nuisance to edit three different files every time a change is needed. Not to mention the chances for error.

Bigger bottles? Hmmm. Space is limited for print media. For web pages, size is also somewhat limited to minimize the download time, especially when there are a severeal dozen bottle pics on the page! But, the display is reduced somewhat more than necessary. So, I can add javascript that enlarges the bottle images with mouseover. Yes, I really should do that at least!

Also, I think your suggestion to clarify the overall design with heading highlights, etc., is fundamental. Thank you, SAMP.

--Krystof

Member #
    Don't skimp on making it look good just because you want people to print it nicely. You can define a separate print layout with a new stylesheet:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styleSheetName.css" type="text/css" media="print" />

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    You can define a separate print layout with a new stylesheet.
    Thank you, Eddy. I have tested this out and it has come in handy. SAMP gave me the idea to "highlight" the headings with background-color <divs> in the "screen" version. Now I decided to "bold" them in the print version.
    --Krystof

Remove Ads