Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi there.

It will be coded all XHTML 1.1 or 1.0 Strict and CSS , even the MIME type "application/xhtml+xml" will be served.

I'm about to finish this layout, and I'd love to get opinions on it.
    Questions:

• Is the layout too similar to any other layout you've seen?
    • Is the layout appealing?
    • What would you change on it, if anything? Be specific, please!
    • General praise of my fantastic skills.
    The new layout will be at www.haf.se. Be sure to check it out when it's online. (You could also check the current page out, it's kinda nice)

Image 1
    Image 2

Member #
    My immediate opinion on seeing it for the first time is great looking site. The colours and layout cause me to take another look and see what this site is about.

The site layout looks like it could perhaps get away with css layout and divs rather than tables as it isn't too complicated. If you can use css layout then that would be another plus point.
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    Looks really good, although there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. I doesn't seem to have a 'polished' feel, if you know what I mean. I think the light red needs to be a different sort of red, or maybe darker.

Hope you can pull off the template > xhtml/css

Member #
    New version - check original message.
    Don't worry, all css - check original message.

Member #
    Looks much better!

Member #
    agreed, it looks great.

Just one thing though. Do you frequent css galleries (cssvault, cssbeauty, stylegala, unmatchedstyle, etc) very often?

I've found that when you are exposed to a certain style of design for a long time, it starts to rub off on you. A few of the things that I myself have found using too often:

45 degree line textures
    horizontal repeating background that extends the header
    boxes boxes (easier to do in css
    translucent menu items - the menu for two of my sites looks pretty similar to yours
    http://www.pureweb.ca/images/ppics/7c.jpg and another layout I have somewhere..

I and (from what I read in the comments on those galleries) some others have noticed that sites that are listed on the css galleries are starting to blend together. When that happens, perhaps it's a sign to find other sources of inspiration.

btw, I think it feels very similar to the latest design on css beauty: http://www.bartelme.at/

just a few oppinions :]

wow.. think this is my longest post on this site..

Member #
    Thanks Jack

I agree, designs rub off. And thanks for the comment that this layout feels like that bartleme design page, because that one is very nice. (although I did like his previous layout better) Something I've found though is that the public, like my freinds and my family have almost never seen a layout that looks like anything on the css vault and css design etc etc sites, simply because they don't have a reason to visit such sites.

Furthermore, swedish design done by beginners or non expert are very much focused towards other types of layouts - just see for yourself in this forum: http://www.webforum.nu/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18 so me doing layouts like this works well with that many swedes haven't been exposed to it before. (and no, these people aren't experts)

On the other hand I also have an english audience; people such as yourself, and sure then that layout might not be the most innovative. I think the english speaking (those who read stuff like mezzoblue) designing community is moving faster than the rest of the web designing world . I tried to focus on easy updating and dynamic content creation, since on my current one: www.swedendesign.tk I'm having a hard time making things fit into the layout as you progress with designing lower on the page. The current one is also what you could call a bit innovative, but perhaps not the most practical...

How are you inspired? How would you do it if it was about making an innovative layout?

Member #
    Improvements anybody?

Member #
    All I have to say is it looks lovely.

How long on average does it take you to design a layout?

Member #
    unfortunately in my current position I don't get much creative freedom. Commercial design is more about function than aesthetics, and usually I would get creative direction from my director. I would then usually scope out competing sites to see what works and what doesn't, then design accordingly. <sees boss coming, pretend to work..>

Anyways.. When I do get the freedom to design for myself, I often look at real world objects and structures, then using that metaphor to design. Flowers, clouds, deco architecture, roman columns, anything can be inspiring :] This results in a unified atmosphere, as well as a familiarity people can relate to. Sometimes inspiration hits you when you least expect it, so I keep a notepad close by.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads