Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I saw a website which had 345 images, some only 10 pixels wide containing slithers of text and nothing else. It was all in a table layout. It was made with Imageready. It was passed over to a webdev team with intent for them to write a ASP.NET app to put into it.

Quite appart from the fact there was only images and no real text at all, there were also over 300 cells to try and manage. I feel for that webdev team.

Sorry I had to delete the link because it wasn't a public site, and as such this thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate forum.
    Goldfish
    Blueshadow Multimedia

Member #
    actually, you'd be surprised at how many people do this.

Most designers are "designers" rather than "web designers". They create the interface, and hand it off to coders. Many would use slicing/dreamweaver without looking at code. I've actually got many comments on other forums that html is a "suppliment" to web design, not its core.

I disagree with this view, but I can understand it. Artists tend to not be coders, and coders tend to not be artists.

oops.. too late :]

Member #
    I also disagree. I also think it's downright rude to give such a thing to a coder and expect them to be able to work with it easily. It's like giving someone a jigsaw puzzle and saying "put a mirror in the middle".

And quite appart from the fact that designers shouldn't neccecarily be artists anyway (design is quite different to art, design has intent to fufil a need as well as look pretty: being artistic is a byproduct), designers should know how their medium works best to make their design successful. Knowing (X)HTML is knowing the medium, and as we can see people who don't know the medium make sites which take years for dialup users to view!
    Goldfish
    Blueshadow Multimedia

Member #
    The way I see it there is artistry, design, and development. Artistry is making it look good, design is making it work, and development is building it. The designers do all the artistry, but you'd think they would know a little about making it work well. Sometimes that doesn't happen though.

If I was given a design full of tables and hundreds of little images I'd throw the whole thing out and ask for the psd if possible to do it right myself.

Remove Ads