Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Should we take netscape in to consideration anymore? I heard more 90% are using IE is this true?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The two browsers are listed (Mozilla is the engine in Netscape, anyway).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Mozilla 1.3a is more advanced than Netscape, though... NS7.02 uses Mozilla 1.02, IIRC

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I look at it like this (and this is not the "popular" viewpoint but it's worked well for me so I'm not changing it until I have to):

Over 90% of my sites' users are IE 5.5 or greater. This number will, at least for the foreseeable future, not shrink significantly. While I won't make it a point to dissuade Netscape users or users of other browsers from using my sites, I will optimize a site for IE first and then worry about Netscape after (this is significantly easier with the advent of CSS and with newer versions of Netscape, but it's still a pain in the you-know-what.)

I look at websites somewhat like video games. When you see a video game, it has requirements based on what the manufacturers think their target market is going to be (and the vast majority of the time, it's a Win98 or higher PC running a minimum of a P2 300 with a half-decent video card.) Yes that means non-Windows users and MAC users are eliminated from the equation, but that wasn't the target market for the video game anyway.

In other words, you should design for your target market (or perceived target market), and the fact that there are a number of different browsers, users, and configurations shouldn't even be an issue (at least initially.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    (Note: this thread was in the Contest forum so I moved it to General Design. I just noticed it was there.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Many people using IE because IE is preinstalled in Windows and Macs are most popular OSes.more than 90 people viewing my site using IE too.So i agree with theGAME one point,make your page for IE first then worri about nescape and other browser.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think Game's ponit was to focus on your primary target first and clean up the secondary and tertiary targets later.

I disagree with that philosophy as "the ONLY way" to approach design, or marketing in general.

Each marketing plan (web design plan) has its own necessary perception and subsequent effect in relation to the primary, secondary, and tertiary markets, and the public as a whole. The dynamics of public opinion on the execution of your marketing plan could destroy your chances of reaching ANY audience.

The launch of a search engine, for instance, would fail miserably if it were not compatible with ALL browsers at launch. The reason is simply because it would receive bad publicity, and would be quickly branded as a joke (among ALL users), and would not hold any parity with competitors such as Google or Yahoo.

A similar example would be a large tobacco company's "Black Marketing" plans of the 70s and 80s, which focused on black communities in pushing certain brands of their cigarettes that were smoked primarily by African Americans. In the end, what happened was white consumers dropped off considerably because there was no continuous marketing effort with them, and as a result, the black consumers fell off as well, feeling "Well, if it's not good enough for white people, what are you saying about ME?"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Originally posted by transio
    I think Game's ponit was to focus on your primary target first and clean up the secondary and tertiary targets later.
    That's exactly what it is. Deal with your majority, make them happy, then worry about the minority as they will grow in proportion with your site. Don't remove them from the equation entirely, but keep them in the back of your mind. This would, of course, depend on your product and your target market.

The problem with the "black marketing" tobacco example is that while black people were becoming more prominent in the American population, they still were (and I believe still are) the minority. I've never agreed with the concept of minority marketing simply because you're automatically limiting yourself to less than 50% of the possible market for a product. However, there's no possible way to please everyone, either.

I think a better example is the Blackberry device. A friend of mine is the head Q&A person for Blackberry, and she gets requests all the time about how to optimize a site for the device. She tells them the same thing each time: "Blackberry web surfers represent less than 0.01% of web users. Why worry about 1 user in 10,000 at the expense of the other 9,999?"

That's why I personally choose to target IE first, Netscape second, Opera third if I have time, and everything else after (since targetting these three browsers will generally resolve issues related to the others for the most part).

I'm not saying don't take Netscape into consideration. I'm just saying don't waste time designing for it at the expense of IE.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I'm not saying don't take Netscape into consideration. I'm just saying don't waste time designing for it at the expense of IE.
    And I'm not saying that's not a valid approach. I'm just saying it won't work for EVERYONE. Larger corporations and public web programs have to consider everyone into the equation... which is why cross-compatibility and backwards compatibility designers are still in high demand at the corporate level.

Member #
    Hmmm.... the current usage for IE (flavours 6, 5 & 4) is at 93% - ok, that's for March '03 - can't we just hunt out the holdouts and do something about it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads