Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

mmmkai? im 13 and i just read an HTML begginers guide lastnight and i was really intrigued to make my own site, so with basic knowledge i created a new site, its my CG Portfolio. I still have much more to learn in HTML and JS and PHP. but this is my First ever website made 100% in notepad. here it is. www.reludex.cjb.net
    Tommorow im gonna try and make a splash page it was hosted in freewebs as it has a sitebuilder with HTML capabilites, and i dont understand uploading with FTP. so rate it please , if you have anythign you might want to add to my site, PM me and i will add it.

Thanks,
    Evan/reludex.//Moose67

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Firstly, well done in producing so much so quickly.

I think you've made the right decision in starting using just a text editor rather than a WYSIWYG. You should find it very liberating once you've used it a while - many a website has ended up looking awful because somebody has relied on a WYSIWYG editor and it's let them down...

As for the site...

- Somebody is bound to mention frames, but this is (unfortunately) not apparantly within your control - being imposed by the free webhosting. Try to see if you can find alternative free hosting that doesn't do this -- for example, doesn't your ISP offer free webhosting with your internet package?

- I think your background is too busy. It distracts from the content which is not easy to read... blue and black on skyblue is not really sufficient contrast. I would be inclined to lose the background altogether but if you do not wish to do this you may like to consider having it on the header and then, perhaps, a really faded out version of it (almost to white) behind the content - so that it's still clearly there but doesn't distract from the content itself.

- The logo at the top is too large. I would make it smaller. Similarly your punchline "Quality Graphics and Designs" is too small. I would make it larger. Also the word "Designs" may want to be made singular... "Graphics and Design"...

- Your "menu bar" gets lost. You may want to do something to make it more prominent; such as put it on a background.

- At the moment your content is totally fluid. One thing you may wish to consider is constraining it to a fixed width so that you can start to build some structure into its layout. This could be done by creating a fixed width table (I am deliberately avoiding talking CSS layout at the moment because of the stage you're at) and aligning it centre and putting all the content into it. If you take this approach something like 790px would be a decent width as many folks are still using 800x600 screen resolutions.

- Your code. You have HTML tags with mixed case. Don't. Keep them all lowercase and try to put the attributes in quotes. This will set you in good stead for if you later want to try to move towards XHTML.

ie.
    Code:
    <html>
       <head>
          <title>This is a title</title>
       </head>
       <body>
          <p align="center"><a href="x.html">This is a hyperlink</a></p>
       </body>
    </html>
    That's enough from me for now... look forward to seeing your site as it develops.

Sean

Member #
    Thanks Sean! but i have a few questions. in the fifth point you told me to work on, can you help me with "fixed" Width" because i really don't get how to do that.
    -what exactly is WYSIWYG?
    -can you tech me how to do "hotspts" for the menu like you said? my book Vaguely describes how to use one.

The Rest I will get onto right away

Member #
    WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get, bascially a webpage editor that allows you to drop elements of a webpage into a design panel such as images, links, tables, frames etc and the program writes all the html code (normally quite messy html code, which is why people prefer writing their own html)

I also agree with Sean that the background is too busy and makes it hard to see the page content, when i first clicked the link i didn't even realise there was a menu bar

When you get more advanced you can look at maybe having a table with a plain background to hold your page content and surrounding it with your background image, which would look more effective and organised in my opinion.

Nice first try though

Remove Ads