Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I want it all: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

www.shanispace.com
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Hi there

It's a nice site, but at first sight I wasn't sure if it was just somebody's personal site or a business site - I don't think the home page makes that immediately clear (or maybe it's just me, I don't know).

Maybe the resume section could be put at the top of the menu if you don't want to modify the home page?

Also, everything is off to the left, which I found odd.

On the photography section, the B&W images are not surrounded by the blue border, whereas the colour ones are. Is this deliberate?

Nice colour scheme though, subtle.

Member #
    I like the clean design. A couple of minor points:

1.Once you leave the home page there's no way back from the other pages

2. The pages I checked didn't validate. Mostly because of missing ALT tags on the screen shot images
    Paul Creedy
    Visit my community site at: www.rhonddacynontaff.com
    My hosting: www.rcthosting.com
    My Content Management product: www.dynamiccontenteditor.com

Member #
    I agree with Piewife. I thought it was a personal site as well.
    To give it a more professional look, I'd probably center it and bring it down just a bit so that the top of you logo doesn't look like it is bleeding into the toolbar.
    Also, I would darken the text in the middle. It looks like enlighten? You can barely read that. I'd darken and bold the text and make that a bit bigger. Focus on all those things you offer.
    I'd also increase and bold the font on your nav bar.
    You have a great design, you are just focusing on the desing too much, and you need to make sure the viewer will know what the site is about.
    Also, put a link on your other pages to return to the home, or at least link your logo at the top back to the home page.
    But, really there is no bad or ugly on this site. Mostly good, with some minor things to improve upon the look and feel of the site (so that people know you are a designer).
    Good luck........
    GMan

Member #
    Thank you for the feedback, now some questions...

- How do I center the whole layout? The way I have the site set up, all the divs are in absolute positions. Do I have to change all of these, or can I change the body div? (Remember, I'm very new at CSS).

- There actually is currently a link back to the home page, though obviously, it's not intuitive enough. The title inside the S links back. The graphic itself is nestled as the background for that particular div. Is there a way to make the whole div a link?
    Code:
    <a href="index.html"><div class="logo">www.shanispace.com</div></a>
    - The border issue is odd, here's why: For the most part, I like the border being there. On the graphic design page, it's an absolute necessity, unless I change the color scheme. For the web design page, I've already changed it so that none of the images have borders. I should probably make it consistent through out, which means adding a border on the web page, and to the few other images on the other pages that escaped. Currently, the photography page is mismatched, so I ask the people of WDF... border or no borders?

- Mr C, thank you for pointing out the validation stuff, I'll have to look into that, even though one of my friends told me to scrap the validations altogether because it breaks up the layout (and while I agree, I still think they should be on the page somewhere).

Thank you, thank you.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    I liked the look of it at first, but after clicking through a few links I found it hard to really get a clear understanding of the site and what you do. I don't care for the small text links that seem to be randomly placed, and all the unused white space.

Remove Ads