Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

site update (sort of)

Alright, I've updated my site a bit - it's far from complete, but beats the lousy thing that was up there before (nine pics and a phone number - yippee!).

Just wanted some thoughts and comments about it - it will not remain the permanant site, of course, but since I've been so busy lately (which is really a good thing, right?), I haven't had time to finish the site completely.

More interested in the colour selection and overall layout, which really doesn't conform to much, actually. There's no nav, since I haven't created any other pages yet, just one page so that people know that we actually do exist.

Have one question though: all the layers currently use <span> and class under CSS. Is this the way it should be laid out, or should I be using <div>'s & id's instead?

And, puhleez, don't bother telling me there isn't enough content - I already know that! :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's very original looking and the color scheme is nice, but the layout is a double-edged sword: I have no idea what to read first.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I agree with filburt on both points. One way to make a little clearer what you want to be read first would be combining the use of color and placement. I am going to guess that you want the text "Whether it's annoying errors..." to be read first, because it's the biggest on my screen. If you also made that white, it would dominate the screen. But the smaller box to the right with the white background is competing, and they both seem to have an equal importance.

It's cool and original, and would be AWESOME and original if it could be made just a bit clearer.

Member #
    Hmmm.... now that you both mentioned the same thing, you're right - the right section does stand out a bit more, so tends to draw the eye more to it. Perhaps it was my mind subliminally working again, since "web services" is the direction I usually tend to put most of my efforts to in my biz, even though most of the actual calls are for "pc services"... go figure :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    <RANT>
    Actually, that "pc services" thing isn't all that surprising to me. I have quite a few clients who constantly are asking me to either fix their computer problems or refer someone who can. I've even tried to find a few people that will do the computer work for them (I don't have the time and more importantly the patience), but no one in Toronto seems to want to deal with it anymore.

I've even said to people, "call this guy, he needs someone, I know you can do this, and you can make some bucks on the side. All you need to do is say you know me and you're in." They say, "no thanks, not interested."

I've all but handed people who do PC repair and maintenance clients on a silver platter, and they say "no". Then they snivel, whine and complain about how "there are no jobs in IT." Note: if you're guilty of this, you're a poor businessman and (insert much more colourful language here) and you're costing yourself money. (Sorry, but this is something that's irritating me more and more lately.)

Now having said all that, I'm sure at least one person in this thread will take the ball I've just placed down on the ground and run with it.
    </RANT>
    With regard to your site, I would suggest that the reason that you get more calls for PC services is twofold: 1) because it's on the left side of the page and people read left-to-right, so they'll read the PC stuff first: and 2) because the Web Design services box is "underneath" the PC Services box.

If PC is the way you want to go with your business (see my rant above for a reason why), that's cool, but if you want more web design, you need to reverse your order. You also should expand that section of the site (which I'm assuming you're going to) to demonstrate your skills and show off portfolio pieces. You may want to do the same with PC services: split it up into smaller pages, focusing on things like Hardware, Software, Networking, Virus Scan/Removal (I get calls specifically for this from clients at least once a week), etc. and so on. This will serve the dual purpose of explaining your services more fully and gaining better search engine positioning.

By the way, I like the colour scheme you chose, even though it kinda looks like snot.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Regarding the people who want the "job" rather than the "work" - I think their attitude explains it all. Some people just don't want to work for a living. They want jobs.

A job is a place where you get a paycheck every 2 weeks and don't have to worry about making ends meet. A job is a place where the "client" is your boss, and he your duties neatly outlined for you. A job is a place where if there's nothing to do, you are still making your salary.

In short, someone who wants the job, but not the consultant work doesn't have the entrepreneurial spirit that makes capitalism so great. They are lazy and uninspired. Let them be.... that opens up more opportunities for ME !!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    * throws up his hands to the gospel hymn of transio *

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mah brutha! TES-ti-Fyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Lay down the Good word! Amen and Hallelujah!

I've never heard, or been able to put it, quite so well, but you are absolutely right. It's a lack of entrepreneurial spirit and initiative. However, I would still like to see at least one person show enough interest in the PC repair end to say "okay, GAME. I want the ball. Hand it to me."

Then again...now that I think about it...

*grins evilly and sneaks away to his dark lair*
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Uhm theGAME... I will take the ball :classic:

Even though I would like more of my biz to focus on web design, I am still at a point where I cannot rely completely on that type of business. I'll gladly take any clients that need PC repairs or help, theGAME. My biz only started last May, so I am still in the growing period. Please, if you have any clients in need of PC services, I would be more than happy to assist.

Some people might think I'm spreading myself too thin by offering both services, but one thing to keep in mind is that my web design services only provide "simple" (not really the word I'm looking for) yet effective web sites.

Remove Ads