Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Any comments on how it make this site easyer to move around on or how to explain what we do, on the frist page would be great...
    I've been having a hard time trying to make it clear as to what we do...Must be to close to see how...
    Thanks
    P.S. www.pooktre.com

Member #
    here's some ideas

hi, your artwork is amazing! putting the tree figure on the homepage was an excellent way to let people know what it is that you do.
    First, let's talk about the layout. With tables, you should try to decrease the width of your large photo, because on my browser the right side of the photo "juts out" from underneath the main Pooktre image. The positioning of the menu is good, because I was able to know where to go quickly. Very accessible.

Now for the content and style. How familiar are you with fading an image from left to right? Because my suggestion for the top image is that you keep the top photo with the faded tint underneath the Pooktre title, but as you get closer and closer to the Pooktre logo, the photo fades to its normal look. The reason why this works is because you want the visitors to see the title (important) and your uniquely designed logo (also very important). The white logo stays white, however I think it looks lost on the tinted background. As an alternative, you could add a drop shadow to the white logo.
    For the links, I would replace the standard html links with image buttons. The image buttons should have that same swirly multi-color texture as the main Pooktre title. Since you have alot of links, I would place each link below the other, and with image buttons you won't have to worry about formatting the HTML text that much. Arrange the image buttons in a <P> and then add <BR>'s between each image button.
    I think you have too many links for the photos on your homepage, so maybe you could consolidate everything under one link, and title it "PHOTOS". Then, when someone clicks that link they will come to another menu list (arranged in the middle of the website with the Pooktree title and logo at the very top of the page) that has Becky's Photos, Pooktre Photos, Pook, and so on.
    Finally, I would feel uncomfortable putting myself and loved ones on a website that could become a very successful art business. You should move the photos of your kids and place them on the "About the Artists" page.

Good luck!

Member #
    Hi there,

I think you should try and reduce the width of your page to below 955 pixels. A lot of users have a monitor resolution of 1024x768 and these would have to scroll horizontally if you have a too wide page.

The photo is also stealing the show. Maybe you should reduce it in size and put more emphasis on the content.

A short description of what is pooktre would be a good idea too.

Good luck

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by deffvaltez
    hi, your artwork is amazing! putting the tree figure on the homepage was an excellent way to let people know what it is that you do.
    First, let's talk about the layout. With tables, you should try to decrease the width of your large photo, because on my browser the right side of the photo "juts out" from underneath the main Pooktre image. The positioning of the menu is good, because I was able to know where to go quickly. Very accessible.

Now for the content and style. How familiar are you with fading an image from left to right? Because my suggestion for the top image is that you keep the top photo with the faded tint underneath the Pooktre title, but as you get closer and closer to the Pooktre logo, the photo fades to its normal look. The reason why this works is because you want the visitors to see the title (important) and your uniquely designed logo (also very important). The white logo stays white, however I think it looks lost on the tinted background. As an alternative, you could add a drop shadow to the white logo.
    For the links, I would replace the standard html links with image buttons. The image buttons should have that same swirly multi-color texture as the main Pooktre title. Since you have alot of links, I would place each link below the other, and with image buttons you won't have to worry about formatting the HTML text that much. Arrange the image buttons in a <P> and then add <BR>'s between each image button.
    I think you have too many links for the photos on your homepage, so maybe you could consolidate everything under one link, and title it "PHOTOS". Then, when someone clicks that link they will come to another menu list (arranged in the middle of the website with the Pooktree title and logo at the very top of the page) that has Becky's Photos, Pooktre Photos, Pook, and so on.
    Finally, I would feel uncomfortable putting myself and loved ones on a website that could become a very successful art business. You should move the photos of your kids and place them on the "About the Artists" page.

Good luck!
    Great idea about the fadeing back to normal under the logo...I try it and post here when done.
    I like the idea of the links of photo being change to one link then that link leading to menu....but I'll wait until after spring photos of the trees as then I'll have a heap more to put on...so that work better thanks

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by siboney
    Hi there,

I think you should try and reduce the width of your page to below 955 pixels. A lot of users have a monitor resolution of 1024x768 and these would have to scroll horizontally if you have a too wide page.

The photo is also stealing the show. Maybe you should reduce it in size and put more emphasis on the content.

A short description of what is pooktre would be a good idea too.

Good luck
    How would I check the pixels width of my page please....
    I been have a hard time trying to do a short description!!!!Been pulling my hair out I have.Any ideas???

Member #
    Currently your page width is controlled by the two largest items horizontally which is the big photo 700pixels and the family photo 320pixels i.e. 700px + 320px + 10-20 margin = 1040px.

I find it usefull to do the initial design phase in a software like photoshop or fireworks. There you can move stuff around, change colours, styles etc. Then when you're happy with the design you can go about transferring your design to html.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by siboney
    Currently your page width is controlled by the two largest items horizontally which is the big photo 700pixels and the family photo 320pixels i.e. 700px + 320px + 10-20 margin = 1040px.

I find it usefull to do the initial design phase in a software like photoshop or fireworks. There you can move stuff around, change colours, styles etc. Then when you're happy with the design you can go about transferring your design to html.
    I've been working on changing the size I'll hoply be able to upload the new front page tomorrow....

Member #
    nice...
    xzworks.blogspot.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xzworks
    nice...
    I've made some changes to the front page what do you think of the changes compared to the old page.
    Thanks

Member #
    i think the links(Menu) are quite big and messy to look at.
    too many pics on front page.quite slow for dial-up user like me.

i recommend to try photoshop on the design for dyanamic result.
    xzworks.blogspot.com

Remove Ads