Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Qwerkey!

Banned
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

What do you think?

www.qwerkey.co.uk

Cheers. :ermm:

Member #
    The design is quite good but it needs touching up in a few places. I'm not sure how to explain it but it kind of needs to be squeezed together a bit, there is too much empty space, especially between the header and the links and on the homepage.

Second thing is using flash. Flash is a good thing and can really improve a design, but is invisible to search engines and have relatively large files. On your site flash seems quite unnecessary, the header could be replaced by an image and your navigation could be achieved using CSS or image rollovers. Using flash for your navigation is also a bad idea as a search engine will not be able to spider your site as it sees no links. Although the flash on your contact page is a good touch, write your name location and e-mail underneath the flash so it is spiderable.

I don't know whether you were going ro change this or not, but you have no titles for your page, they are all 'Untitled Document', this is another thing that is bad for your search engine position as many search engines put alot of weight on page titles. On your design page you have centered text, this can be effective sometimes but makes it difficult to read large blocks of text. Also maybe consider making your logo into a link back to your homepage, many users will look for this to return to your homepage so it's well worth doing.

Your coding overall is ok, but have you thought of transferring your pages to XHTML, contrary to belief it is not that hard and will not take long but will make your site more visible on different browsers and search engines prefer a well coded site. On your site you have different css on different pages, maybe consider putting all off your css into one stylesheet and linking to it, therefore you will only have to download the stylesheet once for you whole site. Also if you are going to turn your site into XHTML, you might have to get familiar with the Flash Satay method, this is basically a way of making your flash code valid and working on all major browsers.

Sorry for the long post, and really your site isn't bad it just needs sorting out here and there.

Banned
    Member #
    Thanks for all your advice!

Yes, I do plan to turn the header into an image and i think i'll make the whole header link back to the homepage. Why not eh? It's a swf at the mo cos it makes it easier to just play around with, rather than constantly having to export it as an image.

I'm capable of more elaborate stuff, but just feel that the more I take out the better it looks and the clearer it is for viewers. I hate sites that have loads going on cos you just can't focus on anything in particular. I'm more for Google than Yahoo! I did think the space was maybe a little bit o.t.t. but when i think about it, it just makes everything so visible (you can't underestimate the power of blank space!).

Image rollovers are not something i've played with. Does that mean i could do the menu bar without using flash? Does it change colour? You do this in dreamweaver right?

I read a lot about how flash isn't picked up on search engines but is it not true that you can simply stick loads of relevant words in the alt boxes in the images?

I plan on giving the pages titles.

The thing about the centred text is that it isn't supposed to be. I use a Mac and it's left justified but on PCs it goes centred. Believe me that's not what i want. Do you know what's going wrong/how to fix it?

Thanks for the other tips.

Member #
    I like the background color and the design of your website. Its quite pleasing to the eye.:ichathappy:

Member #
    Pretty buttons... :-P (on the Art+Theory page) I like big buttons. No question here about where you're supposed to go!
    Get a view of business and web design from a fresh perspective at DiamondLime.com
    Fresh Business Ideas and Web Design

Remove Ads