Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm not sure what or how to add more content to a game site I just set up. My forums are not that big yet so it doesn't feel right having a "latest forum posts " box on the main page. I haven't mastered things like RSS feeds or creating a news letter or member sections yet so I've been going with the basic news & info site with a few extras. (You can't really get an RSS feed exclusively for military games anyway so I've been posting each news piece myself, btw)

Anyway, for now I'm going with the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach since I am stupid, ha, until my web skills improve. (takes time). I'm currently debating whether I should spruce up my main page with an eye catching movie semi-related to the sites content. Right now it just has a short list of up coming game releases and snippets from their descriptions. This is the main page I'm using now:

http://warlikeway.com

And here is what I'm considering for the main page instead:

Warning: the movie animation MAY be a little graffic for some people.

http://www.warlike.ms11.net/movie.html

The thing is I really like the LOOK of the animation and the way it fits on the main page and how it turns a dull page into something more attractive or memorable but I'm concerned its content may put off some people, I even find it a little too crude at some points. But I can't find a decent enough replacement animation that is both related to my sites' content and enhances its appearance as well. So as you can see, I'd would welcome any suggestions and or advice. Thanks.

Member #
    The movie takes forever to load, and I don't think anyone will wait forever to watch it. Is a movie realy neccecary? When you personaly visit sites, do you always sit around and watch the little intro things, and even if you do, do you watch them everytime you visit? Chances are, you ussualy don't watch them, and when you do watch them, you'll only watch it once or twice, and then you'll want to skip it.

If you browse this site you'll find a few stickys about "do's and don't" in web design and that kind of stuff. I think you should read those over and implement some of the changes to your design.

Something that I always tell people is to make sure they are doing something special with their site. Does your site do anything unique? If it doesn't then I think you should find something unique to do with it.

Since you're starting new forums, I'd suggest reading the first 10 or 20 pages of any interesting threads. If you find a link to something else worth reading in those threads, I suggest reading that too.
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yesterday (after I posted)I was reading some of what you suggested and you're right about the movie. It's not a good idea for a main page. It was really filler substituting for that "unique" content you mention.

I agree it needs something unique.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    btw - can you or anyone else tell me if the site is loading well at the main page here: http://warlikeway.com Thank you.

Member #
    oops! When I suggested reading the first 10 or 20 pages I forgot to say where! http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum103/ skim through as much as you can since they don't seem to sticky those ultra helpful threads. That will help you build up your forum. The stickies in this forum (how's my site) are a great guideline for the design of the site itself.

The site doesn't have any loading problems with me in Firefox, but for some reason in IE the flash took longer to load. Also, there are problems with the poll, and some of the borders on the page in IE that you might want to check out. They're not biggies though.
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasoncw
    oops! When I suggested reading the first 10 or 20 pages I forgot to say where! http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum103/ skim through as much as you can since they don't seem to sticky those ultra helpful threads. That will help you build up your forum. The stickies in this forum (how's my site) are a great guideline for the design of the site itself.

The site doesn't have any loading problems with me in Firefox, but for some reason in IE the flash took longer to load. Also, there are problems with the poll, and some of the borders on the page in IE that you might want to check out. They're not biggies though.
    I have the same problem of slightly slower loading in IE too, but I think it's something specific to IE, all it's problems, and not the site. Mozilla is just a better browser.

Can you be more specific with the problems with the poll? I tested it and it worked fine. Is it a display position problem? I realize the poll is positioned slightly differently in each browser, but it worked for me in both browsers. Other than the poll having no breaks between the image above it in mozilla, I can't see any "border" problems. Can you breifly describe what you see and what version browser it shows up in for you? Thanks alot for your help.

Member #
    "help kick off the forums @ Warlikeway, click here" has a white border in Firefox while it has the blue border in IE. I'm not sure what versions of the browsers I'm using, but alot of people will be using the same version as me. I think the poll is functional, but the choices and question are left aligned in Firefox but centered in IE. I think they look better left aligned

It's true that it is probably IE's fault that your page loads slower on it than Firefox, but since a huge majority of your users use IE you should accomidate. Something is causing horizontal scrolling in IE too.

I noticed you use css for positioning and basic styling, but I also notice alot of stuff that could be given a class uses normal html tags. I think you should use an external stylesheet too, it makes life alot easier if you decide to change anything (you can search google for it).
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasoncw
    "help kick off the forums @ Warlikeway, click here" has a white border in Firefox while it has the blue border in IE. I'm not sure what versions of the browsers I'm using, but alot of people will be using the same version as me. I think the poll is functional, but the choices and question are left aligned in Firefox but centered in IE. I think they look better left aligned

It's true that it is probably IE's fault that your page loads slower on it than Firefox, but since a huge majority of your users use IE you should accomidate. Something is causing horizontal scrolling in IE too.

I noticed you use css for positioning and basic styling, but I also notice alot of stuff that could be given a class uses normal html tags. I think you should use an external stylesheet too, it makes life alot easier if you decide to change anything (you can search google for it).
    Thanks for your thoroughness in reviewing my site. It will go along way in helping me improve it. I noticed those differences to the border and poll before. I don't think there's much I can do about it. Fortunately, it doesn't disrupt the layout significantly.

If by external style sheet you mean ".css", I am using one.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    btw - I just want to confirm that you can see and use the menu bar at the top of the page. Can you?

Member #
    no problemo

I know you're using a style sheet, but it is part of the page. You can make it so that it's a seperate file from the rest of your page, and that way if you want to change something in any of the pages that use that style, you can do so by only changing one file. If you already have an external stylesheet, I'd suggest moving all of the normal style sheet onto the external one.

The flash menu works ok, but what happens if the person doesn't have flash, or has it disabled?
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads