Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://timsilva.com/

Hey, my name is Tim Silva, I have been into web design for about a year now and I have made this online portfolio using the new flash 8. I would love to get some feedback on my site and I am still going to make changes with it over time.

Enjoy!

Member #
    Error: MM_swapImgRestore is not defined

Member #
    The splash page is a bad idea. Also, the E and S are confusing. Some people will know to see what alt says, but not everybody does. Even more, people who are looking for web design services are less likely to know to read the alt. Also, the requirements are pretty basic, and someone who doesn't meet the requirements is probably less computer literate and will see all that as technical jargon anyways. Plus, if someone doesn't meet a requirement, they're probably not going to go download something just so they can see your site, and they'll leave. But some people will download something, and you already have that covered at the bottom of the flash pages, so it isn't neccecary for the main page. "sacred factory" and the time are hard to read at the bottom. What is sacred factory anyways?

For me it's just showing up as two white boxes, so I'm guessing I don't have the latest flash. I would suggest making the site able to run on older versions of flash. I'm going to go download flash 8, and I'll post again when I get it.
    Jason

Member #
    There are grammar problems with some of the things you write. I'd suggest having one of your english teachers go over it. If you do, make sure they are being really rigid.

I think everything in your 'about' section is going to send your potential customers in the opposite direction. I'd completely remove that page.

In 'contact' take out the stuff about instant messagers. Just provide your e-mail address. If your sn is really profesional sounding, then you can include that in your reply to their e-mail, but only if you're *always* on (take into account timezones). Most people who use instant messagers are probably under 25, and most people under 25 aren't buisness owners looking for a website. E-mails are probably better anyways, since you have time to articulate a good response.

ims would probably be best if you where editing the site in real time. "you: how about that color? press the refresh button. customer: maybe if it was a little lighter? you: ok, try now" I think a customer would think that was cool.

In 'portfolio' I'd take out the bar on the left. It makes it seem like those are more sites, but then it turns out they are the same ones. I like symetery too, but in this case is confusing. I'd suggest taking out the personal stuff in the descriptions. The last thing you want your potential customers to know is that you're new, and still in High School.
    Jason

Member #
    ya... if I was a potentional client, and I saw your about page ("drug status: negetory") I would stop any consideration of me hiring you.
    -GeZe

Member #
    well..

(I opened up notepad and summarized everything) I like being graded hard like that, it really makes me face my flaws.

That was about the most dead-on review I needed. Although I may not have a 'professional' image, it is mainly because I am a freelancer at the moment. The about page was meant to be a collage, but since both of you thought I over did it I will accept the fact that you are right.

Here is the problems with the reviews, since you made it so accurate you were forgetting that this isn't yet meant to be public. Besides, admitting that I am not in high school, or new isn't really an issue as I am only working work friends and family at the moment.

However, I do agree with the Instant Messaging comment though. I will take seriously to this whole review. I summarized everything and I am editing it right now. Thanks for being so honest.

I will also be remaking the splash page and using publishing it as an older version of flash; Probably 5 or 6. This way I can avoid the alt text issue, plus I would like to save the time of doing it with html/images.

-I will be updating most of this today and tomorow, check back if you like.

Remove Ads