Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: portfolio site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

i have just started learning web design and this is the first web site that ive done by myself.i replaced my old site with this portfolio site. id be interested in hearing peoples opinions on how the site could be made better. it still needs a bit of work

http://www.briangrogan.com

Member #
    Nice and clean. Couple of points though. Firstly, I would avoid what's known as "random meat" navigation. By that I mean links to something or other being just a bit of an image. I dunno what the links are to, or about, or anything. It may look good but it isn't user-friendly. At least use Alt and title attributes so a mouseover will give some info on what the link is to.

I would also suggest not putting the site into the portfolio. It just looks like you haven't done anything, which doesn't really look good. You say you have other work to add, so leave it blank until you add the other stuff.

Your illustrations are good. I would make much more use of them on you site.

Hope this helps

Member #
    I agree with Zing.
    Also, let me say if this is the first site you've done, you are well on your way to becoming a good designer.
    A couple of recommendations or things to look at:
    1) Your banner. I like the banner, but you may want to either increase the size of the text or center the text in the banner. If you want to keep text size consistent with your site and that is the look you are going for, that is ok. You will at least want to center it so it doesn't look like it is off. I am referring to height center, not width.
    2) Content is key. Zing is exactly right when saying not to highlight your own site in your portfolio, you should never do that, even if your portfolio is full. People already know that your own site is your work, so there is no need to highlight it.
    With your portfolio, it does not have to be live content or completed sites. You can put demo sites you've done. Mock up a few sites and put them in there. Just so a potential customer can see some of the stuff you have done. Just take an idea you have for a site and mock it up, then throw it on there.

The rest of your work is great, so highlight it.
    And good luck.....
    GMan

Member #
    thanks a million, some good advice there. I think your defo right about putting my own site in the portfolio. i think i did that just for layout purposes.. so that id know what it will look like when i have proper web work in there. I'll take that out soon and will do a few mock up sites.

thanks again for the comments zing and gman..

Remove Ads