Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Currently not all the pages are finished, but I'm looking for an opinion of the design and general feel of what I've got so far (subsequent pages will be consistent with the ones currently in place).

So far I've got home, Consultancy, consultancy -> project management, decoration, lighting and floors done.

The old* site is here:
    http://www.schemesinteriordesign.co.uk/

I've been using images from there (with permission of course) and some factual basis for the copy. The copy is pretty useless for everything else, I gotta say ...

Oh and NB this is currently on my home box so it might go down if I lose connectivity for some reason.
    Thanks for the input!

* well, actually, it was made after I made the first version of the site. I was WAY too ambitious for the first version of the site (it had a lot of complicated Flash and server side things), and went way over the deadline so they got another guy to make that piece of rubbish for them, who charged more than us! Needless to say I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen again. It's probably a good thing this happened to me early. This new design is something of a saving face move, since I want something nice to put in the portfolio
    Goldfish
    Blueshadow Multimedia

Member #
    They paid someone to create that, how can these people call themselves designers? Table based, ugly, it looks like a site from about 1996!! Anyway, enough of a rant

I really like your design, definitely fits with the business, interior design. Also great to see you adopting web standards.

A couple of little things that i personally don't like. The text 'design for life' in the top right, feels a bit too squashed, i would suggest adding a bit of padding, 7,8px maybe, to the right-hand side.

Are you going to keep the 'Made with Notepad' button there? Personally i think it looks really tacky! No offense but who cares that it's made in Notepad? Well done to you! You use Notepad! But are the users going to be bothered?

I also think that the menu and footer text feel a bit cramped, i would suggest adding a bit more padding.

Also the Logo looks oversized, i would suggest sizing it down but keeping the amount of space used by adding padding, hope that made sense?

Overall a VERY nice design but i just feel that it needs to be given room to breathe. Please don't take my comments personally, i criticised to help you build a better site.

Member #
    Thanks very much! I take your comments as objective criticism - which is the only way you can better your work!

The made for notepad banner - that was just showing off to someone at the company I was doing it for that's a FrontPage designer (*shudders*) it's not staying for production I know for a fact users won't care, and they also won't care that it's W3C complaint (the markup anyway), so I didn't build the banner into the site either.

I see what you mean about the text being cramped, especially the tag-line. But staring at it for hours makes you miss stuff like that. The menu text definitely needs adjusting a tad - problem is getting the IE position hack to look the same as the normal position, which I've not really got around to yet. But I will now

I should also add a Skip Navigation link, amongst other accessibility bits.

My only problem so far as compatibility goes is getting the menubar to work nicely on semi-compatible mobile browsers that will run the CSS and JavaScript, but since you can't mouseover them they won't expand. However, you should still be able to get to the root of each section so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again for the comments!
    Goldfish
    Blueshadow Multimedia

Remove Ads