Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OwnTheMap.com

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.7 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey,

You've probably all heard of the MillionDollarHomepage by now. A university student called Alex Tew made his own website and sold small pixel boxes on it for different amounts (varying depending on the demand and popularity of his site). He made around $1million in the end, just from selling pixels.

I've taken this concept a step further and made http://www.OwnTheMap.com. I figured that this idea is more fun than his... you can bid and buy the right to place an advertisement and link on any country that you own. If this idea takes off, the value of the different countries will rocket so, watch this space!

Have a look and tell me what you think.

If you fancy it, get in on it now. Mexico was going for 6p last time I checked!

Thanks again, any comments greatly appreciated.

Daniel
    OwnTheMap.com

Member #
    OwnTheMap.com Update

Hey folks,

A quick update on OwnTheMap.com to let you all know how its going. It was here, of course, where I was originally helped with marketing and site development techniques.

Hits are still at around 150 unique visitors daily but should be set to rise soon. I have had an interview with a reporter who intends to feature the story in the next week's local paper - a small step but potentially the publicity that it needs. That should, in theory, have a positive effect.

There are four more auctions this week, a couple of which are still available at just a penny. There are just under three days of bidding left so hopefully some bids will start coming in soon.

Next week should see the release of an updated template with new features which will improve the website furthermore. A maturer and more interesting template (I think you may agree) will be released as soon as I add the finishing touches.

I'm also intending to include a bit of information about the guy behind it all as some people may be interested to know.

I have a few new features in the pipeline as well as a marketing budget just waiting to be spent so... hopefully, if applied correctly, the website should benefit from increased hits soon.

A number of country owners have already commented on the positive effect that they have seen since their sites have been added. I'll try to get hold of exact figures soon enough.

Basically, thanks a lot for all of your help. Any further suggestions on how to make the website better and any incentives for people to return would be appreciated. Apart from that, be sure to have a look at www.ownthemap.com and give your feedback!

Daniel
    www.ownthemap.com

Member #
    omg, what are london hotels doing in Sweden?

Member #
    Ask the buyer... the winner chooses what's displayed!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xepio
    Ask the buyer... the winner chooses what's displayed!
    All I'm saying is that it's perhaps a fun idea but it opens up for political incorrectness. Also, this concept is old, the concept of buying advertisement spots...

However, if you make money from it - why not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads