Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OwnTheMap.com

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.7 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey,

You've probably all heard of the MillionDollarHomepage by now. A university student called Alex Tew made his own website and sold small pixel boxes on it for different amounts (varying depending on the demand and popularity of his site). He made around $1million in the end, just from selling pixels.

I've taken this concept a step further and made http://www.OwnTheMap.com. I figured that this idea is more fun than his... you can bid and buy the right to place an advertisement and link on any country that you own. If this idea takes off, the value of the different countries will rocket so, watch this space!

Have a look and tell me what you think.

If you fancy it, get in on it now. Mexico was going for 6p last time I checked!

Thanks again, any comments greatly appreciated.

Daniel
    OwnTheMap.com

Member #
    hi,

I think the colors are nice and well balanced. Its just the downloading speed...otherwise nice concept.

Member #
    Load time could be increased, but i think the color scheme is a bit plain, and the layout could be a little cleaner. The concept, YAWN...

Member #
    It's a cool concept, I hope it'll catch on for you.

I think you could do with a better logo and a more concentrated layout though.
    Unfortunately, althought it is a more interesting concept that milliondollarhomepage, it serves to have the problem that making ads is a lot more difficult. Post places wont have ads the shape of New Zealand on hand.

Anyway, interesting idea.
    Phleetside v2: More content, less ugly
    Go to it

Member #
    Xepio - isnt't your site just a copy cat of www.buythemap.com?

Member #
    I don't like the map, the advirtising potential is pretty bad tbh.

What would make it really good though is this.

In the top left of your map have a small world map, where people can select continents. When someone selcts a continent it gets blown up to the size of your world map. That would give much more advirtising space and make the site look a lot better. Either that or just make a massive world map.

Member #
    Hey,

I already added the zooming feature. Needs a bit of work but its getting there.

There's also a mailing list now so you can signup and be told of new countries (woo! :s).

The first few countries have been sold now, the next lot are up.

Hits are increasing fast considering the site's quite new. It amassed 300+ hits on one of its first days so... doing pretty damn good.

Any improvement idea greatly appreciated.

Member #
    um.. don't make the viewer scroll across. and move the text higher up.

Member #
    OwnTheMap.com - suggestions, feedback?

Hey,

Some of you've probably already seen my site at www.ownthemap.com, where I'm selling the world to any would-be country owner!

Just to keep you updated, the sites hits have increased drastically, as well as the value at which some countries are selling. The mailing list is more popular and I'm generally getting a lot more interest at OwnTheMap.com.

I have added this weeks auctions, two of which end within the next 48 hours.

I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions as to how I could further improve the site. Also, can anyone recommend any particular promotional methods to make the site even more popular?

Thanks,

Daniel
    www.ownthemap.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    What about what PinkPussyKat said, it does look a lot like a copy of that site.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads