Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My frontpage for my website is 120 kb.

Is that too large?
    http://www.tnrstudios.com/ - Designing the web one site at a time

JR
    Member #
    i wouldnt say so....

if you calculate the times for download on both 56k and 600k it will tell you how long it will take. For this calculation i am going on 56k downloads at 4kb/sec and 600k at 70kb/sec

therefore it will take
    56k about 30 seconds to download (what do you expect)
    600k about 2 seconds to download
    JR

Member #
    Nah.
    - Brian

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    120 KB is pretty big for a web page, including graphics. Even for a page with some flash on it.

It would take approx. 21 seconds at 56k.

There's no need for so much content, though. You can get a beautiful page in about 5-10k of HTML, with no more than 20k of graphics, plus maybe a 10k photo, totalling 35 - 40k.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    transio's right. 35-40K (at most 50 K) is plenty for a website's front page. If done properly, a very simple and attractive page can be created using nothing but HTML, CSS, and maybe one image that will only take up about 10-15 K of space.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    When I was looking for guidelines on how large my homepage should be, I looked around at other sites, to see their size. I used a very complicated tool: the "save as webpage" feature in IE. This tool actually has a lot of uses I have come to find out. It downloads the html page, and then all js, css and image files into a folder. By checking the size of the html page and folder, you can see how large different website's homepages are. I believe the average I was finding was around 80k or so. I mainly checked news sites like CNN and such.

Member #
    Can not say that is too big! it depends on what site he designs for. For a large site with a lot of content he needs to put in the frontpage so 120 k is not so big.
    Big for personal page that is very big!!! if he designs for his personal page so i agree 120 kb is very big, though!
    try to use less images unless you really need it. And content shouldnot be too long in one page. Compress the images as small as possible to save space. Download time is most important for a webpage.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There isn't that much content that would necessitate being on the front page of a website though, and if there is, the user should be given the option to download portions that are relevant to him/her or to skip portions (e.g. skip the intro of a flash site.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you look at his page, it doesn't exude a "120k" image. It's only that large because he's got several graphics in the range of 10k + that he uses in his navigation and as buttons. If unnecessary images were replaced with HTML elements and the rest compressed better, he could easily get a comparable site for about 50k.

Member #
    If you're looking for a straight forward answer, 120k is big.

Just imagine waiting for 120k to finish loading if you were using a dial-up connection. Most of the members on these forums probably use some form of broadband, don't forget about the millions who don't.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads