Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a dark tree

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    3.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    3.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.6 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hi, I'd like some feedback on http://www.adarktree.com. Thanks!

Member #
    Just a bunch of text realy. Hard to comment on. Good job with CSS though..

Member #
    I think this is a very original minimal design. If you just dropped the the crosshair pointer it would be a really great site.

The sparce layout and generous white space is perfect for your subject matter, although it would be better if there was a more visual indication that it's a art/poem blog. I love the typography, it fits the length of your posts just right and the measure/leading makes for easy reading. Georgia is really underrated, and fits well with the artistic theme as well ;]

There are just a few usability issues - crossing out a line, even for a hover effect, isn't generally a good idea. The page is a bit long - I would suggest cutting out half of the images/blog posts, putting the best ones on the front and leaving a link to the full archive at the bottom.

The code is neat. I can see the structure even without comments

Generally I think this isn't something everyone can appreciate. But for your target audience - which I assume to be art types - this is perfect.

Member #
    Thanks Jack. Helpful comments.

I definitely need to break up the page because it's so text-heavy.

What about color, is black/white too stark?

Member #
    if you are doing art.. black/white is not too stark; it's art. imo.

Only suggestion is break apart the "nonsense" entries; there is not much separation between them (just the gray date, with no newline).
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Hello,

There are elements of this that I like, and some that I do not like. Most of it is a matter of opinion, so if you disagree, ignore me.

The black and white is fine, it works. I do NOT like the white text w/ black background for the text alone, it's too blocky.

I like the orientation of the title, but the kerning could be a little better (especially on the word "tree").

I think it could be divided up into different pages instead of one very long page, especially since you are already clicking to get to each section. It's completely okay to add another layer to your site map.

I do not like that the rollovers are a different color for each section. But this goes back to what I just said above.

I like the layout. I like how it's clean descriptive information on one side juxtaposed with extensive text and content on the other.

Now, information is a crazy list of Good things: Did you ever read The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner? Chapter Two, from Quentin's perspective, is written entirely in state-of-consciousness. It's done a little differently. It may benefit you to look at it. I mean, not read the whole book, but just that part, to see how to break stuff up in a way to still keep the attention of the reader. As it is, I look at it, and then I look away. Right now, it is a texture more than text. This is not a bad thing, unless you want people to read it. If that's your intent, try highlighting & breaking stuff up: spacing, bolding, capitalizing, etc.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Don't change the damn mouse pointer.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks all.

I just made some modifications tonight. Would you guys take a look, are the changes improvements and are there still problems? Thanks a lot.

Banned
    Member #
    not bad..really simple. your photos are good though. love it.

Member #
    Can I get some opinions on the black boxes I just added at the top and bottom. Good? Bad? Too heavy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads