Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Any comments really appreciated, it's only the design at the moment, but would like your feedback: http://i.domaindlx.com/sportbiz/newpapillon/default.asp

I know that it's on free hosting and can be a bit slow, but this is temporary until i get the hosting, there is no point in paying for hosting i am not using .

The links etc. don't work and the text is just placeholding text.

Thanks,

Member #
    first of all, nice colors! the logo is abit blurry. i think the text in the menu can stand out more. great potential...keep coming...

Member #
    Thanks for the comments.

The logo has got to be sorted, it's on my to-do list and i will think about the menu links, can see your point with those.

Member #
    That green is really nice. What's the hex?

Over all I'd say you are almost done. The site has a pleasant feel and welcoming atmosphere. I would tweek a few things to make it a little bit cleaner, and more user-friendly.

Comments on layout:
    Gradients on are not necessary.

The whole area on the right could easily be 40% smaller. If you make that part more narrow, it will leave you more room for content, without adversely affecting your design.

What are your rollovers going to look like?

The red highlighted part is screaming for attention right now. This color should either be incorporated more throughout the content OR switched for a more muted tone.

Comments on content:
    "Featured item" sounds a lot classier and more focused than "random item"

There should be some expository text, would definitely fit in the header, about what this site is about. I understand things are being sold, but give me a category/classification/title. In other words find a way to unite candles, apparel, jewelry & tapestries.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Thanks for the comments, appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    "Featured item" sounds a lot classier and more focused than "random item"
    I see your point, consider it done
    The red highlighted part is screaming for attention right now.
    Red highlighted part?? Do you mean the price? I wanted this to stand out quite a bit so that people saw if a product is reduced. If it is not reduced it will not be red, if it is reduced it will be red.
    I would tweek a few things to make it a little bit cleaner, and more user-friendly.
    What would you say needs tweaking?
    There should be some expository text, would definitely fit in the header, about what this site is about. I understand things are being sold, but give me a category/classification/title. In other words find a way to unite candles, apparel, jewelry & tapestries.
    This will be done. I will have a small paragraph at the beginning outlining what we sell, what we are about etc.
    The whole area on the right could easily be 40% smaller.
    Do you mean the background? Is the design not centered? I want to make the design available to people using 800x600.
    What are your rollovers going to look like?
    I actually had no intention of adding rollovers, but it is somthing i might think about.
    That green is really nice. What's the hex?
    The main colours are, #ceeaa2, #75a825, #bade82.

Member #
    Hello again Daniel...

I started with positive aspects and then I said "I would tweek..." Then in the next paragraph, I went into details of what I would tweek... So I already answered question. Sorry about the confusion.

In reference to the red, I understand what you are doing, I just think it's over done.

Area on the right looks like my mistake... I meant the area on the left. Yes, I know my right from left, but I'm human, and my shoes are on correctly today... The nav buttons are half the size as the area allotted. The box w/ the featured item has a large border, the logo on the top could move over. Sorry for the confusion. Again.

Rollovers are a major part of usability. They lable clickable areas. The web is a dynamic medium, rollovers are a response to an action, a positive reinforcement to someone navigating a site. This is why I'd suggest putting them in.
    Shani

Member #
    Thanks again for the comments. Sorry about the confusion, should have read your post a bit more carefully..

I see your point about the red, maybe it is a bit too much, will have a play around and see if i can find some alternatives.

In reference to there being too much space on the left, i'm not sure. Personally i like it this way but obviously design is objective. Would like to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Will be making them into rollovers, just a pain to sort out the CSS for it

Member #
    Rollovers in CSS can be very easy. If you want to change a color field, make sure you do something else additionally, since Internet Explorer does not recognize this attribute. Add these two lines to your CSS document and it will underline every time you have an <a href>

Code:
    a:link{font-decoration: none}
    a:hover{fond-decoration: underline}
    The other attributes are active and visited. The formating is the same as formatting text.

If you have different styles of links, here is how you use identifiers:
    Code:
    a#mainnav{color: 333333; font-decoration:none}
    a#subnav{color: 999999; font-decoration:none}
    Then your html would say
    Code:
    <a id="mainnav" href="index.html">home</a>
    which would be a different color than
    Code:
    <a id="subnav" href="photos.html">photos</a>
    Color fields are a little more complicated. Last project I had, I used a span to define a color field (background-color) and applied it to the same line of code as the href. It doesn't work in IE.

Here's a link to my last project if you're interested in looking at the code and CSS.
    Shani

Member #
    My problem was that i wanted to change the background image on hover, but the <a> tag did not cover the whole of the <li> tag.

I have now re-wrote the whole css code, and have sorted it out. Unfortunately my host is down so i can't upload it :angry:.

Thanks for the help anyway

Member #
    The rollovers are now up. Also made a few other changes:
    1. Sorted out some Opera bugs.
    2. Increased text size.
    3. Added a background to the search box.
    4. Made the search button into an image.
    What do you think? Thanks

Remove Ads