Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi All
    I've been working on a website design for this firm of chartered accountants southampton
    Its xhtml/css/508 compliant and has a no style accessibility mode.
    its also fully content managed via php!

The guys who run the company are great so if you need accounts help in the southampton/hampshire region look them up.

Any constructive/useful comments gratefully received

Member #
    First impression is great. I like the color scheme, the fade in graphic is just right, not too much. It's easy to figure out what the site is for. After looking at the site for a while, I have a few suggestions. First off, the site wouldn't validate for CSS. The #myNav item has invalid line height of 1.0, I think you omitted the 'em'. Another thing that struck me was the navigation. There is a blank space between the title "Navigation" and the "home" link, it would look better without the space. Also the font for the navigation links is very plain. Each word is also not capitalized in the links, but is capitalized in the content header and the content. I think that the font used in the word "Navigation" should be used throughout the links and the content header for consistency. The last thing to consider is not have the picture fade in on every page. Maybe only once when the site is first visited, it becomes very noticable when a link is clicked, and gives the impression the site is still loading.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I agree with audiofreak9 on the menu... the space makes it a bit weird.

VERY nice site otherwise.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    cheers people
    it always helps to have more sets of eyes and some constructive critisim!

Ive fixed the CSS, I'm sure it did validate so I dont know how I managed to introduce that error most embaressing.

As for the points on the bland nav, it is a little allthough good readable web fonts are limited and you're a little at the mercy of the user agent. However the captialisation could improve the look a little. For the moment Ive given capitals to the major headings, the lower level pages are rather long names and close to space limits which was why I avoided capitalisation on the nav originally. I may mess about some more in the future to improve the look of this element (navigation title issues noted)

Thanks again for all the feedback - especialy the positives :-) (although the negs are very useful as I said)

Member #
    Found this today about line-height:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/20...-line-heights/

It seems I was incorrect, and it is a known validation issue.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofreak9
    Found this today about line-height:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/20...-line-heights/

It seems I was incorrect, and it is a known validation issue.
    yes my issue was that I had a 0 value for a line height (the non em values didnt trigger the error)
    Always learning...

Member #
    Yeah always learning, I got curious after I noticed all your line-heights had no unit, and thought maybe I was wrong, and sure enough!

Remove Ads