Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi, guys, i am new into all this forum thing, but i heard that your opinions could be useful. I just designed a website, well, for the first time, and i am not really sure if it look ok. for me it is a bit too simple. i also know that it is written with many mistakes, like using the <br> tag instead of <p>. Tell me please what you think about it- i am open to any suggestions:
    www.lesbluffeursclub.com

Member #
    the intial view for the site is its refreshing...
    but as you move around what i saw was a complete change in the whole template at some links in the website. the pop-up window idea for some links is not good.
    get rid of that and everything is fine.
    Sycamore.in
    Fair Deal India
    Online Ludhiana - Bringing Punjabi's together
    Yahoo India Forum - A Complete Portal

Member #
    Hi Sasha459, welcome to WDF.

I am going to limit my post to just three things:

1- Look and Feel. The colors and fonts are not the ones I'd associate with the theme. Try a deep purplish red, a burgundy if you will. Also, nix the comic sans, go for Georgia or Verdana.

2- Size. There is a lot of white space in the header and along the layout. Furthermore, the text areas are very wide. I generally like to keep my text area no more than 500 pixels. This is a usability thing, so people can scan the content without moving their eyes.

3- Inclusion of graphics. Right now, the pictures on the site are not one with the layout. It's like text here, photo there, but they really should go together, "this picture exemplifies this text." Try to incorporate a color or box or something to include the images in the layout itself.

If you're interested in more picky stuff, rest assured I can talk forever. Also, I did a wine-related site for class if you want the link, I can show you how I solved some of these issues.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Hi, DCScene, thanks for your reply. You have a few points i really should consider. Is it ok if you give me your wine-site link? Thanks

Member #
    Hi syca5, thanks for your reply. I agree that pop-ups are really annoying, when they have nothing to do with the site you are visiting,but i had to draw people's attention to the detail, and that's the only way i thought of. Is there something else that i can use to give such an announcement? I thought of using JavaScript warning dialogues, but they look threatening.

Member #
    The Good
    The content is well written. Navigation is simple and easy use.

The Bad
    Retina-burning color scheme, scrolling text, pop-ups, too many different fonts on each page, too much white space, the horizontal line at the bottom of the pages gets in the way sometimes (check the Contact Us page in Firefox), no "alt" labels.

The Suggestions
    As stated above, ditch the Comic Sans font in lieu of something more professional, e.g. Georgia, Arial, Verdana; I would also make the text larger, maybe 12pt instead of 12px. You can also play with the style of the headers, try making them italics as well as larger and bold. When working with fonts, a good rule of thumb is: never have more than 3 different fonts on one page (be sure to count bold, italics, and different sized text as seperate fonts).

You already have an Announcements area on the homepage, so there's no need for the scolling text or popups. Besides, the scrolling text is acting differently in Firefox and IE.

I would also either center the page contents or move it to the left. As it is, it's somewhere in between.

Member #
    Hi shasa, i am also new to the forum and to webdesign, and this is actually my first post here, i took a look to your site, i love the banner you made, though how was already mentioned the collors can be improved for a better contrast with the whole, i noticed too something with that i am having troubles as well, your text is not justified, i am a amateur do not take my observations to serious but specially in your page (wine encyclopedia) the text begins next the red logo and in the next paragraph drops down the logo, if possible should be a good idea to justify the text, i do not know how to do that when working with html, i use at the moment a software with which you can justify text just with the click of a mouse, i am also interested to learn to work with html. and i hope to learn a lot in this great forum

It seems also you have used to many different fonts and sizes, little details, but important enough to spoil what it seems to me, a nice work for the first time..

Regards

Member #
    James,
    Thanks for your reply. You've convinced me to keep the same font throughout, but i think i prefer to stick to Comic Sans, well, for a reason of the club being "Bluffeurs Club", meaning, not really serious wine drinkers. Do you think it will be taken ok? I do want to make the font look as one, though.
    What about "alt"s? Do you mean to give a description to each image i have on the page?
    Forgive me for these questions, they might sound silly, but this was my first ever time of making a website just from self-learning.

Member #
    Hi, Incognit@!
    Thanks for your reply. You are not the first one who tells me that the different fonts are standing out. So, i think there's a point! I will have to sit on it and decide what to do.
    I know nothing about justification. Can you tell me more about it?

Member #
    How i told you before i don't know how to use it but i give you a link where you can find the code to do this.

In the next page go to text + paragraph +division alignment +, and you will find different options to left right center or justified text, i hope this is something for you.

http://www.ncdesign.org/html/index.htm

I was trying to use the justify code for a page i am making now but i have used the <br> tag and it seems they are incompatible, let's hope someone with more experience point us out the right way ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads