Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Some Ads

Member #
    Liked
    205 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I've been on WDF. I have some work I've been doing. I've taken more of a marketing/advertising role at my job, so I'm not doing less web design.

Anyhow, here are a few ads I've done recently. Thought I'd see what you guys think.

I'm also working on a campaign that we're gonna pitch to Lotus cars. I'll post those up later (fun stuff! :-D)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Give me an Elise and I'll let you know what I think.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The Good
    I love the Power ad and the Small World ad. They are very professional and well thought out.

The Bad
    The Inspiring People ad looks like a group of people all standing around holding a cardboard logo. Very boring and lacking a message. If you're inspiring people, and the logo resembles a comic idea bubble, use the logo as part of the message, e.g. have a man sitting at his desk with the look of an epiphany on his face and the logo over his head as if he just had a great idea... all thanks to your company.

The Wheels of Fortune ad is great except that the back wheel of the car looks odd. It doesn't appear to be in the plane of the vehicle. The front wheel looks great.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    The Inspiring People ad looks like a group of people all standing around holding a cardboard logo. Very boring and lacking a message. If you're inspiring people, and the logo resembles a comic idea bubble, use the logo as part of the message, e.g. have a man sitting at his desk with the look of an epiphany on his face and the logo over his head as if he just had a great idea...
    Thanks for the feedback. Funny you should suggest this concept... it's exactly what my original (rejected) concept was!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Agreed: Inspiration ad needs work. A little bit of art direction for the photographer & models would be wise, just look at what each person is doing with their arms. Other than the guy in the middle, nobody knows what to do, and for certain none of them are "grasping" at any thing.

Disagreed: Power. My first impression of the company and product was completely wrong due to the graphic treatment. Honestly, I thought this was for a power company, the people who are sending the monthly electricity bill. It won't hit the right demographic for the services they're offering.

Agreed: Small World. If I have a global company, I will read this. If I have overseas clients, I will read this. It's captivating, lures me in, has a concise message. My favorite of these four.

Neither agreed nor disagreed because no distinct opinion was previously stated: I really like the concept for this ad. I have a few issues with the treatment. The front tires needn't be at an angle. Unless a car is making a turn or parked on a hill, the wheels generally face forward; it looks off balance. The typography is kind of boring. Definitely, definitely, keep the entire url on one line of text, otherwise the user may put a hyphen in it when typing it in. Not to mention it looks better as www.myurl.com.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    DC, thank you for the detailed analysis! Your comments are much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    Definitely, definitely, keep the entire url on one line of text, otherwise the user may put a hyphen in it when typing it in. Not to mention it looks better as www.myurl.com.
    I only just noticed that myself... I had cut out a piece of the text specifically for WDF - the original didn't wrap between lines. I'm very picky about details like that - I would never send an actual ad to print with a wrapping URL. Good catch, though! :-D Regarding the front wheels - the original photo from Peugeot had the wheels turned like that. It's common for car companies to photograph their cars with the front wheels turned, because it adds a dynamic quality to the car.

Also, regarding the "power" ad - that went in the Incentive Marketing Association annual directory - I don't think anyone will mistake it for a power company, because only incentive marketing companies advertise in it! :-D I understand your point, though. It's an abstract concept. One of the best ads I ever saw, though (fron "Hey Whipple Squeeze this") was an advertising company's ad entitled "IMPACT" that had the title in huge letters (impact font, in fact!) with a photo of a boxer getting his face punched in.

Totally agree about the inspiration ad - it's uninspired. (Ironic!) ;-)

Remove Ads