Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I'm far from being a graphic artist and really struggle with the color scheme when designing a site. So... I am asking for you all to take a look at my page and give me some feedback on the colors.

In particular I am requesting feedback on the <H3> tagged headings on the page. I'm desperately trying to give the page some warmth, but it just doesn't feel right. Feel free to take a look at the CSS file (http://www.hcsheriff.gov/css/main.css) and give some specific suggestions for possible color combinations.

If nothing seems to work, I'm going to fall back on a simple format of black text, white background, and a 1px black border along the bottom. It's just that this doesn't help with the coldness of the site.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I got a DNS look-up failure
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    I pasted in the wrong URL. Replace the prep with www in the URL to get the page to load, or click here: http://www.hcsheriff.gov/default_new.asp

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey James... sorry 'bout that. Forgot to check back in this section

I agree with you. It does look a bit cold. Albeit it is a Sherrif's Office afterall :laugh:

Ok... all joking aside, it's not an easy task, dealing with colors and making a site that's inviting.

Maybe a few thing to try out:

- change the font style? A different font like Trebuchet MS and maybe a bit smaller?
    - Those H1 looks like they're from the 1980's sorry ... the whole TNR italics thing is not my thing.
    - Also may enlarge the width of that menu ... it looks all cramped up in that tiny little spot.

As for the banner/header ... How about adding some cop car action in there in the background?! You know how corporate site have people holding papers or whatever... well ... a cop arresting someone or doing something could help?
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]

Member #
    I've just uploaded a new version of the site. It includes new colors, fonts, and a new logo.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Now that's gettin' there

I still think the menu should have a bigger width but ... hey ... I think you're in the right direction.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskeeler
    Webdesgn is a great outlet for the creative juices.
    This comment made my day!

On to the topic: I like the background color, I like the brown. In fact, I want to see more of them. Incorporate the darker brown into the nav instead of the black. Use the lighter color instead of the grey in the nav and as the background for the photo.

The new fonts are better.

I like the cropped image in the header. (I may be biased on this matter.) Question: from different angles of my screen it looks like part of the star continues into the main part of the layout. Is that true or is my mind running away with me? If it's true, make it less subtle, if it's not, it would be a fabulous integration of the layout.

On that note, the thin brown line dividing the header and content is not necessary. BUT, it should still be there by the nav, so maybe give your first set of links a category like the rest to make that separation.

Define your the a attributes in your CSS, make 'link' match the blue in your nav, and 'hover' the brown.

The side "border" is not working for me. I cannot decide if it would be better without it, or if it need only be the same size as the horizontal.

You've made great improvements since the last time I saw this, and not it's just the details. Good work and good luck.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Remove Ads